Return to Website

Crank Forward Forum

Welcome to our forum. With the number of CF bikes growing, customers have expressed a need for a message board dedicated to CF bikes. We hope this message board gives you the chance to exchange stories or ideas that will continue the growth of Crank Forward Bikes. Feel free to post a message.

Crank Forward Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Keeping the back straight

Hi all

I noticed recently while riding my Dynamik that I had a tendency to relax my back and allow it to bend forward, probably because my body has so much practice riding a recumbent. On the recumbent, which I rode for years, the webbing completely supported my back, and it was always quite relaxed. There's no back support on the Dynamik, so I notice that I need to remind myself to hold my back straight. And that seems to help. But it takes some getting used to.

Then I remembered watching Tour de France riders, many of whom allowed their backs to bend quite a bit (except for Lance Armstrong, who always had a straight back). So I began to wonder: What is the appropriate way to hold one's back on a bicycle? What do the pro's coaches teach? Should we try to hold the back straight, or is it OK to allow it to bend, or does it make a difference at all? And, for all of you who ride Crank Forwards, what have you found to be the best way to hold the back on a Crank Forward?

Thanks,

John L.

Re: Keeping the back straight

Hello John,

Since I've had back problems, I always ended up going with whatever gave me the least amount of discomfort, which is what led me to recumbents in the first place.

On both of my CF's when I changed my seat from perfectly level to angled downward, it seemed to help keep my back straighter. Instead of sitting on the level seat and hunching forward, this method seems to keep my back straighter and help me generate a bit more power by actually pushing against the seat on the pedal stroke. I was concerned that I would have more pressure on my shoulders, neck, and wrists but so far it hasn't happened.

Re: Keeping the back straight

I have a higher pedal cadence 90-100 rpm. What I find is that I don't want a lot of lateral motion when I pedal, and I don't concentrate on my back as much as I want my abdominals to be stretched out. The mental image I have is that I am sitting with my back straight. I am not sure why, but this seems to make it easier for me to achieve/maintain the higher rpm counts.