Return to Website

Crank Forward Forum

Welcome to our forum. With the number of CF bikes growing, customers have expressed a need for a message board dedicated to CF bikes. We hope this message board gives you the chance to exchange stories or ideas that will continue the growth of Crank Forward Bikes. Feel free to post a message.

Crank Forward Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Altera TI

Couple quick questions:

The S&S website says that their couplers have a quickfold option which lets you put the bike in the trunk of a car? Does anyone have experience with this? How quick is quick? Would it fit in the back of a Honda Fit?

I have experience w/ a RANS Dynamik. One of the key things I liked was that it was very stable and I felt safe that it would be very hard to do an endo. Since they've changed the geometries, is the Altera still Endo-proof?

Thanks!

Re: Altera TI

I have three S&S DF(Surly LHT 26", Surly Travelers Check, Salsa El Mariachi) and a RANS V-Rex. Most of the time spent in assembly/disassembly is in removing and reinstalling the accessories to fit in the S&S travel case. If you are putting it in a car and are only disconnecting three cables and two couplers you should be able to do this in less than 5 minutes if you do it routinely, else around 10 minutes.

The new Alterra Mini may be a better option for a Honda Fit. I have a folding Montague Swiss Bike that I put inside my Honda Element, when I don't want to use the hitch rack either because of security or weather.

Not sure about the Alterra frame size, but I recently wanted to retrofit my Zen 650 as a travel bike and it was a little too long to fit in the standard S ans S case so had the Surly LHT retrofitted instead.

Re: Altera TI

The Alterra is taller, by a fraction, but that will remove a slight amount of that anti-endo feature. Not enough to discourage one from the bike. And you have the option of staying seated and leaning back a little to counter an endo. The Mini is most likely to Endo of anything we build, short cockpit, short wheel base, nothing like the Dynamik!