Return to Website

Crank Forward Forum

Welcome to our forum. With the number of CF bikes growing, customers have expressed a need for a message board dedicated to CF bikes. We hope this message board gives you the chance to exchange stories or ideas that will continue the growth of Crank Forward Bikes. Feel free to post a message.

Crank Forward Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Snow Riding and the Alterra 29

Slip sliding away! This morning I rode to work, the long way, .75 miles! It had snowed 10", and light flakes were still coming down. It was the fluffy fun stuff, at least fun to blast through. I rode the Alterra 29, what fun! I only fell once, and right in my driveway. Good thing there was 10" of snow. I fell because I had not adjusted to being loose at the bars. After that I was able to stay up, and amazed at how easy it really was, despite the amount of traction loss happening every other second. Running 30 psi was too stiff, on the way home I am thinking 20 PSI. You have to love winter...not!

Re: Snow Riding and the Alterra 29

The ride home was fun, went off road, and still found it easy to get through. The big wheels and large tires are almost ideal. I still managed to wipe out, and that was on snow covered grass. It was not fault of the bike, these are extreme circumstances, and the snow is extremely slippy because it is super cold here. Today I will ride to work again, it is -15 out right now, lucky the ride is only .3 miles the off road way, and .7 the hard deck route.

My hats off. I ride year round in Minneapolis. Don't think I would be as excited to ride in 10", even if it is light and fluffy. Though, there is something about riding with snow on the ground. I feel like riding in the winter is some form of meditation. I think it is a combination of all of the layers, fewer other riders, and the crispness of the air. There is a sense of "quietness" and isolation -- even right out in the open. Fun! Really excited about the continued development of the CF line. I don't think there is another bike of any design that I would feel comfortable riding in the middle of the winter. Getting more aero is simply the icing on the cake.

John,
You are on target, even for the short rides I have been doing, the hush is awesome, the fact you cut through virgin snow, you see your path, all very zen.