Return to Website

Crank Forward Forum

Welcome to our forum. With the number of CF bikes growing, customers have expressed a need for a message board dedicated to CF bikes. We hope this message board gives you the chance to exchange stories or ideas that will continue the growth of Crank Forward Bikes. Feel free to post a message.

Crank Forward Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alterra Cross Bike

Has anyone built an Alterra into a CycloCross bike. Am thinking about a non-suspension setup with 700c wheels and disc's. Seems like the starting point would be the non-road frame, with a fork with the disc mounts. Would the fork from the current 700X work on the Alterra?

Re: Alterra Cross Bike

I know that the Zenetik Road, Alterra Road, and 700X all uses the same RANS carbon fork.

John

John Shade
Has anyone built an Alterra into a CycloCross bike. Am thinking about a non-suspension setup with 700c wheels and disc's. Seems like the starting point would be the non-road frame, with a fork with the disc mounts. Would the fork from the current 700X work on the Alterra?

This is exactly what I plan to do when Rans releases their Alterra Ti MTB because of its ability to take bigger tires and fenders. Carl at Rans confirmed by email sometime ago that, along with obviously being able to handle wider wheels than the road version, the MTB would also take 700 wheels.

How big do you want to go? I'm running 622X50 on the Alterra Mt.

New ITR #94 article about Alterra 29er:
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

Already tested some components on an Alterra Road:

Loving this SRAM PG1050 12-36T 10spd cassette

Here is the Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700x40C tire I plan to use

Here is the rest of the spec:
> RANS Alterra 29er frame set w/Rock Shox, metallic charcoal
> Salsa Fargo front fork with extra H20 eyelets (to play with)
> SRAM S500 road brake levers
> Avid BB7 road disc brakes
> SRAM Apex front dérailleur
> SRAM Apex mid/long cage rear dérailleur
> SRAM PG1050 12-36T 10spd cassette
> SRAM PC1030 10spd chains
> SRAM TT500 alloy 10spd bar end shifters
> Tektro RL726 interupter brake levers
> Summit brown burl cork bar tape
> Summit mini toe clips
> Salsa MotoAce Woodchipper 25.4mm Xcross drop bar

Regards,
~Nanda" target="_blank">http://www.ransbikes.com/ITR94.htm[.url]

I plan to do the same thing, and build something similar to the Salsa Fargo
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

Already tested some components on an Alterra Road:

Loving this SRAM PG1050 12-36T 10spd cassette

Here is the Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700x40C tire I plan to use

Here is the rest of the spec:
> RANS Alterra 29er frame set w/Rock Shox, metallic charcoal
> Salsa Fargo front fork with extra H20 eyelets (to play with)
> SRAM S500 road brake levers
> Avid BB7 road disc brakes
> SRAM Apex front dérailleur
> SRAM Apex mid/long cage rear dérailleur
> SRAM PG1050 12-36T 10spd cassette
> SRAM PC1030 10spd chains
> SRAM TT500 alloy 10spd bar end shifters
> Tektro RL726 interupter brake levers
> Summit brown burl cork bar tape
> Summit mini toe clips
> Salsa MotoAce Woodchipper 25.4mm Xcross drop bar

Regards,
~Nanda

Simon
How big do you want to go? I'm running 622X50 on the Alterra Mt.

I'm certainly not going to run anything that big but I AM happy to hear from the customer/user side that the MTB has plenty of room for big tires and/or fenders. If your running 50s I should have no problem running 28s or 32s with fenders.

Simon
I'm running 622X50 on the Alterra Mt.

On the current Alterra 26" mtb? Any pix? I was only even able to get a 700-35/37 to clear on the Dynamik frame.

Regards,
~Nanda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHH4olOqzk

Here is a vid of a customer riding the Alterra Road with the Salsa Woodchipper drop bar. Profile pix of each hand position are on my Flickr page...

Regards,
~Nanda

Nanda,
Thanks for all of the pics. I would probably want to build 2 wheel sets. Something that would be primarily for road riding (lighter rim, and narrower tires), and something that would give me off-road riding on generally firm trails. I have a Dynamik that I ride for commuting, and was riding off road last weekend. It has Rhyno lite rims with Schwalbe Marathon 1.5's. I can ride most of the stuff I see in Minnesota. Soft sand would be a problem (but I have done it). I have ridden in lots of different conditions (including snow and ice). What I can't do is put drop bars on that configuration. It is an original Dynamik, and if I lower my hands more than an inch I don't have any room for my legs. Had a chance to test ride the Alterra Road with the drops, and the frame change allows me to ride the drops with no interference. That would have been real handy last weekend on my return leg (20+ miles right into a 20mph wind).

The woodchipper bars look wide, do they have a narrower option?

I just checked the tires, they are 52 not 50, with room to go wider and room for fenders. Bottom bracket height is a little ridiculous.

Into the ride has good info in it. I can't decide if I like 29er or not. 650B still feels like the best tire. Nice seat mod in the article with the cutout bulb. I tried that on the nonalterra crankforward seat (with extra padding) with good results. Without the bulb, the seat feels slanted down, yet there isn't any room to raise the nose. Any chance RANS has different seat hardware to go along with the modification?

That's great the Alterra 29er is being made in Hays. I like the idea of lots of color options too. I can understand the efficiency of one color option, but it's worth paying extra for the color you want.

P.S. What derailleur is on the ten speed Alterra road?

Simon

I just checked the tires, they are 52 not 50, with room to go wider and room for fenders. Bottom bracket height is a little ridiculous.

How ridiculous...as in frame wasn't really meant to have 622s?

Ridiculous as a in clears giant rocks and drop offs where other bikes struggle. You wouldn't want to fall though as the ground is a long ways away.

Simon
Ridiculous as a in clears giant rocks and drop offs where other bikes struggle. You wouldn't want to fall though as the ground is a long ways away.

OK...now I get it...as in "sick", "bad", "stupid" ! ;)