Return to Website

Crank Forward Forum

Welcome to our forum. With the number of CF bikes growing, customers have expressed a need for a message board dedicated to CF bikes. We hope this message board gives you the chance to exchange stories or ideas that will continue the growth of Crank Forward Bikes. Feel free to post a message.

Crank Forward Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alterra - Dynamik touring bike comparison

We've done fully loaded touring on the standard Dynamik, and found it to be a comfortable and reliable bike for touring. Also easy to add racks, fenders, and panniers.

Randy, Nanda, others - how do you think the Alterra or Alterra Road would compare to the Dynamik for fully loaded touring? Comfort? Fenders? Ease of adding racks front and back for panniers? Climbing? Gearing?

The Alterra Road is billed as good for touring - I just wonder how it compares on specific aspects.

Thanks for any info/wisdom on this topic.

Re: Alterra - Dynamik touring bike comparison

Funny you should ask Chris. Since I first got word of the Alterra ...more so the 2011 Alterra 29er, I've had visions of setting one up as the ultimate all-arounder ala Salsa Fargo. I think it'll make a great "adventure touring" and should roll nicely on-road and off-road with the larger diameter tires and some trekking tires (Schwalbe Marathon Cross 700x38's or their 700x40 Land Cruisers that I am really enjoying in a 26x2 size on our demo Sequoia, or go all out and fit it with the Marathon Dureme's). Did you read my mini Alterra review? The seat feels pretty darn comfy, even better with a Planet Bike gel saddle cover. I've spent just a little time riding the Alterra Road demo bike, and imagine the 29er will have even less wrist pressure (not really a bother but worth mentioning) with it's taller fork and tall tire cross section.

If I were to grab a bike today from the Spin Shed, it would be the Sequoia with Summit Cruiser bars, which I am totally acclimated to now. The stiff frame with a 2" downtube and RAC system would be a no brainer. Once the 29er lands and I get'r configured as a "crank fargo" my decision may change

Regards,
~Nanda

Re: Alterra - Dynamik touring bike comparison

Thanks for the expert perspective, Nanda. Please keep us posted when the 29er comes out regarding touring capabilities. Love the Dynamik for touring on all-terrain type trips, but wondering about the Alterra for primarily paved road trips. Will checkout your mini-review. Thanks.