IFC @Meetingpoint
this is our rendez-vous for sharing, inspiration and confrontation ...
... here the other 51 weeks of the International Feature Conference

Return to Website

IFC TalK
post, read and/or reply

IFC TalK
post, read and/or reply
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stereo microphones

Dear Vincent,

the mike we're talking of, is a Sony ECM-MS957 for stereophonic recordings.

A forerunner was the Sony ECM-959V (V for Video, A for Audio - the only difference was the length of cables). If you can get hold of one of the elder ones: grab it ! I still use the 959 and I like it slightly more (don't know why). Both are electret mikrophones, fed by an ordinary mignon cell battery of 1,5 V. The output

is rather high, compared with dynamic microphones. There are still good results with very low original sounds. For loud noises a -20 dB reduction of inputs is advisable. You can easily change the angle of left and right recording capsules from 90 to 120 degrees. 90 degrees is good for all kinds of interviews and recordings in short distance. 120 degrees I use for "effect"-recordings of larger soundscapes like football stadiums, parades, big orchestras etc. An advantage - sound engineers would call it a disadvantage - is a certain lack of low frequencies. My perception is: this "deficiency" makes my recordings more brilliant and transparent (gaps are not filled with the overall grumble and mumble of a city, for example) and it's easier to create a soundscape in the studio, if the single ingredients are not too "bassy" respectively heavy. - There are some other electret stereo mikes in the same category (in Germany 400 to 500 Marks) such as the Sennheiser MKE 44 - but I haven't any experience with those.

Have fun ! Helmut

Visitors:
(Site Stats)