IFC @Meetingpoint
this is our rendez-vous for sharing, inspiration and confrontation ...
... here the other 51 weeks of the International Feature Conference

Return to Website

IFC TalK
post, read and/or reply

IFC TalK
post, read and/or reply
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gregorovich The Great's London (part I?)

Article:
brief School of Sound (London) report

Piers of the Plowright gave a brilliant opening address on the voice in relation to space/place/technology/body/noise/community, then the conference sort of drifted in and out of focus in the environs of sound/film/voice. some found this lack of focus frustrating, others (including myself) found it an accurate reflection of the hybrid media world, in which you either agree to cross boundaries fluidly, or you get lost.

The conference was very well attended, selling out a large hall at the royal institute of architects --- so there is certainly a HUNGER for information and stimulation. My own presentation was on strategies of impersonation/ventriloquism in the mass media: Hosts, Guests and Other Dummies.

from what I was able to gather from BBC colleagues, the situation there is looking better, after several grim years of cost-cutting and format tightening. it seems that there IS a listenership for quality, challenging work on both sides of the drama/doc line, and "Auntie" is beginning to figure out the value of their in-house resources in those areas, as well as the potential of the many talented independent companies that have sprung up in recent years.

as in the usa, the situation can either be viewed as very bleak or just very challenging.

it's the "alice in wonderland" challenge: everything is in flux, but with humor and fluidity, it is possible to find a way "home" again -- a home that will never be same again.

(this isn't kansas anymore...)

gregor von berkshire

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to Original Article:

Tell me -which means US- Gregor, how was London? I understood public radio -more specific radiodcoumentary- is more or less dying in the United Kingdom, but as you were there to do some work(shops?) it must be still alive and developing. Is it? (or were you there to serve the commercial stations?).

Visitors:
(Site Stats)