General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sorry about the smilies - I'm just so gosh dang giddy!

I give the new Dana look a thumbs up . WHy? 'Cause truthfully, while I didn't dislike her original design, I'm not crazy 'bout that poofy look. I think the new Dana is pretty hot. For a comic.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Southern Cross = Happy fanboy

However, this seems to throw out the long standing idea that Dana left Earth to reunite with her parents. Though I'm not sure what to make of Dana's new character design, she looks more like a modern anime babe then everyone's favorite poofy haired 1st Lt. Also I beleive that hovertanks are the Atticus (as opposed to the Spartas) mentioned in Southern Cross literature or prehaps a Yun redesign.

Replying to:

Replying to:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0306/02/dcfirsts.htm

FIRST LOOK [cover & first 4 pages]: ROBOTECH: LOVE AND WAR #1

DC/WildStorm description: "A new Robotech series begins, featuring two stories in each issue. In the main story, the romance between RDF fighter pilot Max Sterling and Zentraedi warrior Miriya is more fully explored. In the backup, follow the trials and tribulations of stardom and romance with Minmay as she films the major motion picture Little White Dragon."

Excert from the comic:

CAPTION: 2031: The fall of Reflex Point at the beginning of the Third Robotech War...

BOWIE (calling up to Dana): Commander Sterling!

Pic of Dana standing in Cyclone armor with Hovertanks in the background.

YEE-HAH! WOO-HOO! DANA, DANA! HOVERTANKS, HOVERTANKS!

This is great! This just made my day in spades! (content )

Also of note:

Dana = "the symbol of the Alliance of Different Worlds". Very, very interesting. And pretty damn too.

Re: Super-cool, must-read comics news.

Ooooooh, spiffy!

If you look closely, you'll notice those are some rather souped-up Hovertanks ... they look vaguely Sentinels-era REF-ish, with those long thin barrels and seemingly random flaps (if we got a better look at them, we might be able to spot their function, but as is, I can't see what it might be). Since I'm posting from my parents' house and don't have my Robotech tomes on me (and don't feel like bouncing about the 'net looking for a picture), I can't be sure, but that MIGHT be the upgraded model seen in pre-production Southern Cross artwork. Might check that out when I get home ... then again, might not, because I've got a lot to do ... heading off to Japan with my boss next week to stock up on new and shiny anime stuff for the store.

LOVE & WAR #1 comes out this week, so I'll have some thoughts on it as a whole come Wednesday.

JLS

Replying to:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0306/02/dcfirsts.htm

FIRST LOOK [cover & first 4 pages]: ROBOTECH: LOVE AND WAR #1

DC/WildStorm description: "A new Robotech series begins, featuring two stories in each issue. In the main story, the romance between RDF fighter pilot Max Sterling and Zentraedi warrior Miriya is more fully explored. In the backup, follow the trials and tribulations of stardom and romance with Minmay as she films the major motion picture Little White Dragon."

Excert from the comic:

CAPTION: 2031: The fall of Reflex Point at the beginning of the Third Robotech War...

BOWIE (calling up to Dana): Commander Sterling!

Pic of Dana standing in Cyclone armor with Hovertanks in the background.

YEE-HAH! WOO-HOO! DANA, DANA! HOVERTANKS, HOVERTANKS!

This is great! This just made my day in spades! (content )

Also of note:

Dana = "the symbol of the Alliance of Different Worlds". Very, very interesting. And pretty damn too.

No. No. No.

There is little to celebrate here.

This might only matter to a HC robotech fan like me, but the opening of this comic has UTTERLY DESTROYED Harmony Gold's canon integrity. According to Tom Bateman, a man I greatly respect, HG's definition of the Robotech canon consists of the 85-episode series and these new comics. Thus, it's damaging to the idea that both are canon when they contradict one another. Furthermore, it renders HG hypocritical: They said they decanonized the old novels and comics because they were inconsistant with the series and each other. There have already been other minor contradictions (Errenously rendered dialogue and uniforms in flashbacks compared to flashbacks in "A Rainy Night" and contradictory visuals of Macross Island in 2005, ect.). But this is one contradiction which cannot be ignored, and has implications for the whole of Robotech.

Simply stated, Reflex Point CANNOT be the same thing as the mounds/containment structures in Southern Cross.

Fact: Nobody ever referred to the tomb of the SDF-1 as "Reflex Point" during the Southern Cross series.

Fact: According to Robotech.com's Infopedia, the mounds/containment structures were designed to hide away the Protoculture Matrix.

Fact: The ASC's leadership demonstrated complete ignorance of the Masters' plans to retrieve the Matrix despite knowing early on about the Masters' escavations of the SDF-1 ruins. It's clear that Mr. Yune has decided Leonard is a traitor, but does he also believe that the ASC is brain dead?

Fact: General Emerson, ASC Chief of Staff, and his staff debated all night the reasons for the Masters' escavations there in "Half Moon". It was suggested that they were space pirates looking for salvage and other such fanciful ideas. At the end of the night, Colonel Rochelle told Emerson point blank that they were no closer to a solution, that they still did not have the faintest idea what the Masters were up to there, or why. If they knew the Matrix was there, alarm bells would have gone off in their heads.

Fact: The mounds have a tall range of mountains nearby, and no river flowing close. The mounds are located at the location of New Macross City, which is seen to have buttes nearby. These buttes are only present in the Western United States.

Fact: The Invid Reflex Point is seen to be surrounded by thick forests with a river running nearby. Mountains nearby are distant, and shallow. Maps of Reflex Point vary in consistancy, but each and every one in the series and OSM places it in Eastern North America.

So, Mr. Yune, HG creative director, who I continue to admire a great deal for his artwork and his exempliary conduct at Robotech.com and in the community, has embraced a story element which contradicts the series and damages the idea of Robotech possessing a canon. What are fans who were told that the novels and comics they enjoy were thrown out because they were contradictory supposed to say now?

I realize the people here are more fans of Robotech material than the hardcore continuity aspects, but I hope you can understand my dismay at what this portends. I am further saddened because this piece has the most dramatic and one of the best illustrated openings of any Robotech comic, past or present. It's well-crafted, yet contains a massive contradiction.

BTW- That large, twin barreled *Hovertank* isn't a *Hovertank*. It's actually a treat for that under other circumstances would have made me delighted. That mech is a Tiger, an original, but unproduced Genesis Climber Mospeda design for a Mars Base ground mecha. In Robotech terms, it would be a heavy Destroid of the Robotech Expeditionary Force, perhaps their equivilant of the MAC II (Monster) in the RDF during the First Robotech War.

Followup

Oh yeah, and another thing about the Reflex Point thing. If you try to understand Mr. Yune's reasoning, it seems that his thinking is that the Invid would settle on the place where they could get the Protoculture Matrix and its energy. But there is no evidence that the Invid would require a Protoculture Matrix or that they would create their headquarters base on the exact location of the containment structures of the Matrix. What we do know is that the Invid require the Flowers of Life first and foremost. Well, prevailing winds go eastward, blowing the spores of the Flowers of Life right to where they should be according to rough map coordinates.

Replying to:

This might only matter to a HC robotech fan like me, but the opening of this comic has UTTERLY DESTROYED Harmony Gold's canon integrity. According to Tom Bateman, a man I greatly respect, HG's definition of the Robotech canon consists of the 85-episode series and these new comics. Thus, it's damaging to the idea that both are canon when they contradict one another. Furthermore, it renders HG hypocritical: They said they decanonized the old novels and comics because they were inconsistant with the series and each other. There have already been other minor contradictions (Errenously rendered dialogue and uniforms in flashbacks compared to flashbacks in "A Rainy Night" and contradictory visuals of Macross Island in 2005, ect.). But this is one contradiction which cannot be ignored, and has implications for the whole of Robotech.

Simply stated, Reflex Point CANNOT be the same thing as the mounds/containment structures in Southern Cross.

Fact: Nobody ever referred to the tomb of the SDF-1 as "Reflex Point" during the Southern Cross series.

Fact: According to Robotech.com's Infopedia, the mounds/containment structures were designed to hide away the Protoculture Matrix.

Fact: The ASC's leadership demonstrated complete ignorance of the Masters' plans to retrieve the Matrix despite knowing early on about the Masters' escavations of the SDF-1 ruins. It's clear that Mr. Yune has decided Leonard is a traitor, but does he also believe that the ASC is brain dead?

Fact: General Emerson, ASC Chief of Staff, and his staff debated all night the reasons for the Masters' escavations there in "Half Moon". It was suggested that they were space pirates looking for salvage and other such fanciful ideas. At the end of the night, Colonel Rochelle told Emerson point blank that they were no closer to a solution, that they still did not have the faintest idea what the Masters were up to there, or why. If they knew the Matrix was there, alarm bells would have gone off in their heads.

Fact: The mounds have a tall range of mountains nearby, and no river flowing close. The mounds are located at the location of New Macross City, which is seen to have buttes nearby. These buttes are only present in the Western United States.

Fact: The Invid Reflex Point is seen to be surrounded by thick forests with a river running nearby. Mountains nearby are distant, and shallow. Maps of Reflex Point vary in consistancy, but each and every one in the series and OSM places it in Eastern North America.

So, Mr. Yune, HG creative director, who I continue to admire a great deal for his artwork and his exempliary conduct at Robotech.com and in the community, has embraced a story element which contradicts the series and damages the idea of Robotech possessing a canon. What are fans who were told that the novels and comics they enjoy were thrown out because they were contradictory supposed to say now?

I realize the people here are more fans of Robotech material than the hardcore continuity aspects, but I hope you can understand my dismay at what this portends. I am further saddened because this piece has the most dramatic and one of the best illustrated openings of any Robotech comic, past or present. It's well-crafted, yet contains a massive contradiction.

BTW- That large, twin barreled *Hovertank* isn't a *Hovertank*. It's actually a treat for that under other circumstances would have made me delighted. That mech is a Tiger, an original, but unproduced Genesis Climber Mospeda design for a Mars Base ground mecha. In Robotech terms, it would be a heavy Destroid of the Robotech Expeditionary Force, perhaps their equivilant of the MAC II (Monster) in the RDF during the First Robotech War.

Re: Followup

Hey guys- first time poster here. Still, I thought I'd add my two cents about the "Reflex Point geographic dilemma" after reading Love and War #1.

Personally, I don't think any continuity was broken. The caption on page two reads, "The Fall of Reflex Point at the Beginning of the Third Robotech War", or something like that. It's not implicit in stating that Dana and crew are actually at Reflex Point. From what I took away from it, she's at the SDF-1 crash site (location???), Bowie's telling her that they've got a chance to escape, and Relex Point (someplace completely different) is about to fall. And if asked, I'm betting that's what Yune would say. At a second glance, take a look at page one, with the giant Invid Phoenix surrounding Earth. The center of all that energy seems to br hitting the NE area of North America....

As for the rest of the Max story, I liked it. It was a different take/perspective on the first few episodes...I'll leave continuity issues to the experts. Bateman said there would be a few surprises, and he was right. Nothing offensive, and I think it all fits in. But I'd love for someone to talk a bit about why Dana has the new armor and is surrounded by all that new mecha....

Replying to:

Oh yeah, and another thing about the Reflex Point thing. If you try to understand Mr. Yune's reasoning, it seems that his thinking is that the Invid would settle on the place where they could get the Protoculture Matrix and its energy. But there is no evidence that the Invid would require a Protoculture Matrix or that they would create their headquarters base on the exact location of the containment structures of the Matrix. What we do know is that the Invid require the Flowers of Life first and foremost. Well, prevailing winds go eastward, blowing the spores of the Flowers of Life right to where they should be according to rough map coordinates.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Followup

Welsome shaane! Its always good to see another fellow Robotech fan here at the 'Roundtable. Hope you like it here.

You make an interesting point about the possible continuity error. Lets hope we get some clarification soon.

Replying to:

Hey guys- first time poster here. Still, I thought I'd add my two cents about the "Reflex Point geographic dilemma" after reading Love and War #1.

Personally, I don't think any continuity was broken. The caption on page two reads, "The Fall of Reflex Point at the Beginning of the Third Robotech War", or something like that. It's not implicit in stating that Dana and crew are actually at Reflex Point. From what I took away from it, she's at the SDF-1 crash site (location???), Bowie's telling her that they've got a chance to escape, and Relex Point (someplace completely different) is about to fall. And if asked, I'm betting that's what Yune would say. At a second glance, take a look at page one, with the giant Invid Phoenix surrounding Earth. The center of all that energy seems to br hitting the NE area of North America....

As for the rest of the Max story, I liked it. It was a different take/perspective on the first few episodes...I'll leave continuity issues to the experts. Bateman said there would be a few surprises, and he was right. Nothing offensive, and I think it all fits in. But I'd love for someone to talk a bit about why Dana has the new armor and is surrounded by all that new mecha....

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Followup

Hi shaane. Unfortunately, Mr. Yune would not say that because he believes Reflex Point and the mounds are one and the same! As stated in my original post, the Robotech.com Infopedia states that the mounds are containment structures called Reflex Point, designed to hide the Protoculture Matrix, which eventually became the location of the Invid Reflex Point. If this was the last we were going to hear of it, I'd say this would be easy to reconcile. However, it's apparent that the viewpoint behind it is at odds with the show.

Right-o ...

Good call on the mecha overlooking the valley ... I'm not quite up on my obscure mecha.

As for the Reflex Point remark, I was thinking the exact same thing as I flipped through my copy of the book this afternoon. Apparently I was so dazzled by the opening scene on my computer screen that I missed the ramifications of what Yune & Faerber's script was saying.

Of course, my line of thought was much simpler ... let's see, in "Force of Arms", Rick and Lisa escape from Alaska Base and catch sight of the SDF-1 falling. They see where it lands and speed towards it. So it's gotta be somewhere in the northwestern U.S. or southwestern Canada.

Every map of Reflex Point in New Gen, on the other hand, shows it in the eastern half of the U.S., usually somewhere around Ohio.

Hmm ... the northwestern U.S. and Ohio are two different things. Sorry, Mr. Yune and Mr. Faerber, but ... BZZZZZZZZZZT, wrong answer.

On the plus side, tho, Dana in CVR-3 battle armor and a young Jonathan Wolfe rescuing an even younger Max Sterling were cute touches. Also quite liked the Udon guys' rendering of Breetai. On the downside, the ominous Miriya reveal scene ... ehh, while it doesn't totally bungle continuity (not like, say, RtM's Khyron crap), it does suggest a greater degree of familiarity between the central Zentraedi in the series than the series itself suggests.

As for the backup ... cute, but does EVERY Robotech story Wildstorm publishes have to start with the SDF-1 crashing? Oh wait, the main story started with the Invid Invasion ... though despite the effects in the second panel, the first panel's visuals, along with its "At the dawn of the new millenium" narration (GACKKKK, RT3K promo flashbacks, GEEEYARGH), had me initially thinking otherwise.

Bloody hell, I need a drink ... *sigh* ... and I thought Yune would make my duty EASY.

JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Right-o ...

That's not the SDF-1, JLS. It's actually a Zentraedi ship...it's green, and with a single hull, not double. I guess the giants in the movie are supposed to be Zentraedi.

As for the SDF-1's landing, there is no reason it couldn't have taken off again after it picked up Rick and Lisa. But buttes are such a rare geological phenomenon, present only where millions of years of erosion has taken place, that it seems unlikely the SDF-1 is in Canada or the Eastern US. I know there are buttes in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, and Arizona. There might be some in Southern Canada though, I'm not sure.

Reflex Point's main hive (as opposed to central) might be in Western New York. That's because Ohio is flat as a board and Reflex Point has a few shallow mountains nearby. There is a hive near Buffalo as seen on the map in "Reflex Point", and Western New York is fairly mountainous. This also conviently explains why Team Bernard took such a detour to New York City, and why Scott said upon their departure that Reflex Point was probably only a few hours away!

Re: No. No. No.

I noticed the contradiction aswell when I looked at those scans. Im looking at these mounds and saying to myself "What? Thats not Reflex Point!" I'd like to see what HG's explination for this is.

Replying to: