General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Just watched Macross Zero #2...

HOLY CRAP. Those variable fights were mind-blowingly awesome! This is how anime should look. Its probably damn expensive, and takes forever to make, but could you imagine a whole 26 episode series of this stuff?!? It would be wild. Forget a new TV series, remake Robotech to look like this!

And heres something for you Captain...the guy in the black anti-u variable fighter is called "Instructer Ivanof" by Fokker. He says: "INstrucor Ivanof.. he was alive?" Later, the Evil Anti-U pilot chica calls Ivanof Didi. Strange man's name, but she definatley said D.D., or Dedee or whatever. This guy is starting to sound like an Edwards clone...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Whoo! After I read your post I immediately started downloading it off Kazaa, complete with some fan subbing. *hangs head in shame* I just cant afford to buy ANYTHING right now. Im buying a car and text-books right now, so Im incredably poor. Fortunately, I have my handy pirating buddy Kazaa.

As for the zine...

I loved your article on Robotech:The Movie. Ive seen it before, and knew a little of it's sordid history, but your article really filled in the blanks well. Your Captains Log was cool too; it makes me glad that RT3K never came to fruition.

I can't comment on your story though, 'cause I dont wanna read it till I read the last chapter. It's been so long since last issue, I sorta forgot all the story lines! I gotta do this aswell for Regulators..

Im gonna go watch some Trigun(which I love), then pray for forgivness.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

... and I watched it tonight. Granted, I've got a stack of DVDs almost as tall as I am to plow through (26 episodes of Armored Trooper Votoms, the last disc of Betterman, three discs of DNA^2, two discs of Urusei Yatsura, 25 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho ... do I really need to go on?), but when something this damned IMPORTANT shows up on your doorstep, you crack the bugger open, fire up the region-free DVD player, and watch it, dammit.

And boy am I glad I did. Every bit of promise suggested by the VF-0's stunning transformation and battle at the end of the first episode is followed up on and then some. There are Valkyries zipping about, transforming on the fly, and firing away through more than half of the 30 minute running time, and everything looks so glorious that, in watching, you realize why this damn thing took six months to come out ... Kawamori & Co. were giving the animation their all AND THEN SOME.

Roy's in nearly all of this episode, and what can you say, he's Roy ... womanizer, boozer, and all-around ass-kicker. This episode shows the man at his best and worst, and proves once again why he's the MAN.

Shin and his co-pilot (who apparently survived the last episode ... shades of William Jang's second Macross Missions one-shot comic) get this kick-ass blue tandem Valkyrie in this episode. It is Quite Something, except that Shin isn't a very good Valkyrie pilot, so most of its scenes involve Roy and other members of the Skull Team beating it around in training sequences.

Which, come to think of it, also brings to mind bits and pieces of Ted Nomura's Prototype 001 storyline, without the stupid alternate universe bit that didn't make any sense. Hmm, a prototype Valkyrie team deployed to fight similar anti-unificationist mecha before Space War One. (Even worse in terms of odd ROBOTECH connections, if I heard right, the villian's name is B.D. If you got your new Emissaries in the mail today, you KNOW why I'm hoping I misheard that ... @_@)

All in all, well worth the 5000 yen I paid for it. That's about $45, and yes, I am saying that 30 minutes of jaw-droppingly gorgeous animation in a language I don't even PRETEND to understand very well at all is worth $45. It's worth it for the godly CG dogfighting, it's worth it for the awe-inspiringly silky smooth and sumptuously shaded 2D animation, and it's DAMN well worth it to hear Akira Kamiya slipping back into one of his most famous roles without a hitch (though with a drunken hiccup or two ^_^).

(Gee, now, if only we can get Dan Woren for the inevitable English dub ...)

Also got the new 'zine today. Speaking of Roy Fokker ... GOD, I thought the Waltrip covers were great, but this ... wow! Considering that Abbott's issues of RtM were among the best of the entire run, it's giving me warm and fuzzy feelings inside to see one more rendering of Claudia, Roy, and Nina from his hand. As for the rest of the 'zine ... well, I did a quick calculation and determined that I was personally responsible for a little more than one third of its content. Really, I think others would be better judges of the finished result. ^_^

Oh, and one last thing ... someone tell Veidt it's not 1998 anymore. (And then I think ... I was a junior in high school when I suggested that ending to him! And I'm going to be starting my fifth year of college in the fall! Holy crap ... has it been THAT long?!)

--JLS