Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The Anti-UN VF

Is called the SV-51.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Director (and Macross co-creator and Valkyrie designer) Shoji Kawamori & Co. are still working on Macross Zero Vol. 2 as of last I heard. All that dazzling CG dogfighting takes a great deal of time, money and effort to churn out, so one should be patient ... especially if, as in your case, you're getting it for free off the 'net. (Me, I'm buying the Japanese DVDs as they come out ... and if you think the show looks f**king brilliant on your computer screen ... )

Unfortunately for you, I do think we're getting a "spiritual journey" for Shin; you need only look back at the LAST think Kawamori made prior to Macross Zero, the TV series "Earth Girl Arjuna", to see the kind of mood he's been in lately and the sort of work he's been cranking out. On the upside, though, by the end of the series (and this is slated for 5 episodes, BTW) we're almost guaranteed a fight between the VF-0 and that big red mecha from hell. Macross Zero looks like it's going to be something of a compromise between the sort of work Kawamori wants to make as he gets older and the sort of work Macross fans expect out of a franchise built upon the coolness of realistic transforming fighter planes and the power of song.

At least, that's the way things look from where I'm sitting. If you're interested in reading up on Mac Zero, scrounge about and pick up a copy of the March issue of NewType USA, which SHOULD (as of this writing) still be sitting on magazine racks across the country ...

--JLS

Replying to:

Im watching that last battle again, between the Valkyrie and the A.U. mecha, and it's spewing delicious mecha goodness. Watching that Valkyrie transform in mid-air...oh mannn....

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Holy smeg! I just downloaded the first chapter of Macross Zero off Kazaa Lite. The quality is superb, and it's fan-subbing is excellent. Anyway, the animation is awesome! The first 5 minutes are of the main charatcer, Shin, fighting some Anti-Unificationists in his F-14. Amazing visuals. He proceeds to get shot down by a Anti-Unificationist transformable plane, and lands on a backwater island inhabited by backwater people. Interestingly though, one of the girls on the island has visions, and sees mecha battles in them. Visions from the shaping? j/k. Then, right at the end, is this awesome fight between a brand spaniking new Valkyrie and on of the A.U.'s transformable mecha. Its totally awesome. When the A.U. dude shoots a bunch of missles at the U.N. Valkyrie, the Valkyrie transforms, into batroid(?) mode, and he shoots the missles down, but when he does, he looks at each of the missles, and his helmet locks on to everything he looks at. Its hard to explain, but rest assured its freakin cool.

Only thing I didnt like was the sappy French song during the credits. Ugh. But Zero makes up for it by putting Roy in the show! Hooray!

Anywho, I hope the Zero doesnt become all sappy and turn it into some sort of "spiritual journey" for Shin. That would suck. Just keep showing those kick-arse dog fights....

Well, gotta run. Im gonna go see if episode 2 is available.

Au revoir!

Well, if I had been at home ...

... as opposed to sitting at the computer lab, typing in a reply as quickly as possible before returning to hammering out a programming assignment that was due in a couple of hours, perhaps I would have had the time to look that up. Details such as designations and the like don't stick particularly well in my head; the reason I've got all the Robotech knowledge up there that I DO have is because of years of reading, rereading, and re-rereading just to forcibly shovel it all in. (Perhaps this is the reason that the one class I'm actually doing the best in this semester is the one I'm retaking because I dropped out of it on my first try and flunked on my second.)

(Perhaps this also tells me I should be studying right now rather than chiding Fokkerheero for his terse reply which I am probably only IMAGINING has a sort of know-it-all snippiness to it.)

Later.

--JLS

Replying to:

Is called the SV-51.

Replying to:

Director (and Macross co-creator and Valkyrie designer) Shoji Kawamori & Co. are still working on Macross Zero Vol. 2 as of last I heard. All that dazzling CG dogfighting takes a great deal of time, money and effort to churn out, so one should be patient ... especially if, as in your case, you're getting it for free off the 'net. (Me, I'm buying the Japanese DVDs as they come out ... and if you think the show looks f**king brilliant on your computer screen ... )

Unfortunately for you, I do think we're getting a "spiritual journey" for Shin; you need only look back at the LAST think Kawamori made prior to Macross Zero, the TV series "Earth Girl Arjuna", to see the kind of mood he's been in lately and the sort of work he's been cranking out. On the upside, though, by the end of the series (and this is slated for 5 episodes, BTW) we're almost guaranteed a fight between the VF-0 and that big red mecha from hell. Macross Zero looks like it's going to be something of a compromise between the sort of work Kawamori wants to make as he gets older and the sort of work Macross fans expect out of a franchise built upon the coolness of realistic transforming fighter planes and the power of song.

At least, that's the way things look from where I'm sitting. If you're interested in reading up on Mac Zero, scrounge about and pick up a copy of the March issue of NewType USA, which SHOULD (as of this writing) still be sitting on magazine racks across the country ...

--JLS

Replying to:

Im watching that last battle again, between the Valkyrie and the A.U. mecha, and it's spewing delicious mecha goodness. Watching that Valkyrie transform in mid-air...oh mannn....

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Holy smeg! I just downloaded the first chapter of Macross Zero off Kazaa Lite. The quality is superb, and it's fan-subbing is excellent. Anyway, the animation is awesome! The first 5 minutes are of the main charatcer, Shin, fighting some Anti-Unificationists in his F-14. Amazing visuals. He proceeds to get shot down by a Anti-Unificationist transformable plane, and lands on a backwater island inhabited by backwater people. Interestingly though, one of the girls on the island has visions, and sees mecha battles in them. Visions from the shaping? j/k. Then, right at the end, is this awesome fight between a brand spaniking new Valkyrie and on of the A.U.'s transformable mecha. Its totally awesome. When the A.U. dude shoots a bunch of missles at the U.N. Valkyrie, the Valkyrie transforms, into batroid(?) mode, and he shoots the missles down, but when he does, he looks at each of the missles, and his helmet locks on to everything he looks at. Its hard to explain, but rest assured its freakin cool.

Only thing I didnt like was the sappy French song during the credits. Ugh. But Zero makes up for it by putting Roy in the show! Hooray!

Anywho, I hope the Zero doesnt become all sappy and turn it into some sort of "spiritual journey" for Shin. That would suck. Just keep showing those kick-arse dog fights....

Au revoir!

Re: Well, if I had been at home ...

Nope. No know-it-allness is implied. If any was sensed, I apologize. Anyways, Newtype USA has been printing a article series on Macross Zero here recently. Definetly worth checking out.

Replying to:

... as opposed to sitting at the computer lab, typing in a reply as quickly as possible before returning to hammering out a programming assignment that was due in a couple of hours, perhaps I would have had the time to look that up. Details such as designations and the like don't stick particularly well in my head; the reason I've got all the Robotech knowledge up there that I DO have is because of years of reading, rereading, and re-rereading just to forcibly shovel it all in. (Perhaps this is the reason that the one class I'm actually doing the best in this semester is the one I'm retaking because I dropped out of it on my first try and flunked on my second.)

(Perhaps this also tells me I should be studying right now rather than chiding Fokkerheero for his terse reply which I am probably only IMAGINING has a sort of know-it-all snippiness to it.)

Later.

--JLS

Replying to:

Is called the SV-51.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

Macross Zero Vol. 2 release date!

The official Japanese release of Macross Zero Volume 2 will be out May 25, 2003. Fansubs should probably start popping up on-line within about a week of that date, and bootlegs should be popping up all over the 'net within about a month (for those of you with no scruples and like the idea of supporting Chinese organized crime syndicates).

Just thought you might all be interested; I've already got my Vol. 2 on order from CD Japan (www.cdjapan.co.jp).

--JLS

Replying to:

Nope. No know-it-allness is implied. If any was sensed, I apologize. Anyways, Newtype USA has been printing a article series on Macross Zero here recently. Definetly worth checking out.

Replying to:

Later.

--JLS

Replying to:

Is called the SV-51.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

Re: Macross Zero Vol. 2 release date!

checking www.cdjapan.co.jp.... Holy smeg! They accept IPMOs! I can actually order stuff from there! That means I can get the new Patlabor movie, AND the new Gundam series! I'm gonna sob! I love you Captain JLS!!! *blows all of pay check*

Replying to:

The official Japanese release of Macross Zero Volume 2 will be out May 25, 2003. Fansubs should probably start popping up on-line within about a week of that date, and bootlegs should be popping up all over the 'net within about a month (for those of you with no scruples and like the idea of supporting Chinese organized crime syndicates).

Just thought you might all be interested; I've already got my Vol. 2 on order from CD Japan (www.cdjapan.co.jp).

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

Later.

--JLS

Replying to:

Is called the SV-51.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

Re: Re: oh mannnn...

You can purchase the Macross Zero DVD off Ebay for 8 dollars. There are some sellers in the USA offering it, if you don't wanna but from overseas.

I got a copy that I think was ripped off a DVD. It looks almost crystal clear on my moniter, but I'ts no substitute for progressive scan DVD.

I read the last NewType, and thats how I found out about it. But it didn't prepare me for the awesome animation. The screen-shots don;t do the anime justice.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

About those auctions ...

Anyone selling a copy of Macross Zero #1 for $8 is almost assuredly selling a bootleg copy out of Taiwan, Hong Kong, or maybe Singapore. An ACTUAL copy of Macross Zero from Japan costs 5000 yen; that's about $45 - $50 U.S. The bootlegs have English subtitles, sure, but you never know what the quality's going to be like on the disc overall (or the quality on the translation, either) ... since it's a transfer from an actual DVD (this being an OVA series), I'd imagine the transfer would be pretty solid. However, it's always better to blow $45 - $50 to support the original creators rather than $8 to support the Triads, or whatever other organized crime outfit is cranking out the bootleg discs ... plus you KNOW the visual quality's going to be bloody stunning on the Japanese disc, since the Japanese quality control's about the best in the world. (They don't accept crap ... at least in terms of production quality.)

As for how you can tell a bootleg copy from an actual copy of Macross Zero #1 ... look at the bottom left-hand corner of the case. If it has the Emotion logo (a pair of Easter Island statues in a yellow rounded-off triangle), it's the genuine article. If it doesn't, it's not the real thing. The real thing also comes with a crap-ton of nifty extra paperwork in the case, including a booklet with character and mecha designs, a sheet explaining the DVD menu and the disc specs, a little registration card sorta thing (in Japanese, of course), a brochure for a Macross credit card (Japan only, sorry!), and an Emotion Video brochure featuring (what else) Macross Zero, as well as a neat TV show that just ended in Japan called Heatguy J, with character designs by Nobuteru Yuuki (Escaflowne, Lodoss War).

Just got in the second Japanese DVD of the Ghost in the Shell TV series (along with the soundtrack to the brand new anime TV series Wolf's Rain, which is by Yoko Kanno along with some of her Cowboy Bebop collaborators). Going to go watch it now ... yeah, sans translation, but when you've got visuals like that ... *drool*

--JLS

Replying to:

You can purchase the Macross Zero DVD off Ebay for 8 dollars. There are some sellers in the USA offering it, if you don't wanna but from overseas.

I got a copy that I think was ripped off a DVD. It looks almost crystal clear on my moniter, but I'ts no substitute for progressive scan DVD.

I read the last NewType, and thats how I found out about it. But it didn't prepare me for the awesome animation. The screen-shots don;t do the anime justice.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

Re: About those auctions ...

Hmm. You're probably right about the bootlegs. And supporting the artists. Damn Ebay and damn the way it tempts me with it's cheap anime DVDs.

Maybe if I dont find anything cool to blow my cash on at the up-coming sci-fi convention Cassman mentioned a while ago Ill plunk down some cash at cdJapan.

Thanks for the good info JLS.

Replying to:

Anyone selling a copy of Macross Zero #1 for $8 is almost assuredly selling a bootleg copy out of Taiwan, Hong Kong, or maybe Singapore. An ACTUAL copy of Macross Zero from Japan costs 5000 yen; that's about $45 - $50 U.S. The bootlegs have English subtitles, sure, but you never know what the quality's going to be like on the disc overall (or the quality on the translation, either) ... since it's a transfer from an actual DVD (this being an OVA series), I'd imagine the transfer would be pretty solid. However, it's always better to blow $45 - $50 to support the original creators rather than $8 to support the Triads, or whatever other organized crime outfit is cranking out the bootleg discs ... plus you KNOW the visual quality's going to be bloody stunning on the Japanese disc, since the Japanese quality control's about the best in the world. (They don't accept crap ... at least in terms of production quality.)

As for how you can tell a bootleg copy from an actual copy of Macross Zero #1 ... look at the bottom left-hand corner of the case. If it has the Emotion logo (a pair of Easter Island statues in a yellow rounded-off triangle), it's the genuine article. If it doesn't, it's not the real thing. The real thing also comes with a crap-ton of nifty extra paperwork in the case, including a booklet with character and mecha designs, a sheet explaining the DVD menu and the disc specs, a little registration card sorta thing (in Japanese, of course), a brochure for a Macross credit card (Japan only, sorry!), and an Emotion Video brochure featuring (what else) Macross Zero, as well as a neat TV show that just ended in Japan called Heatguy J, with character designs by Nobuteru Yuuki (Escaflowne, Lodoss War).

Just got in the second Japanese DVD of the Ghost in the Shell TV series (along with the soundtrack to the brand new anime TV series Wolf's Rain, which is by Yoko Kanno along with some of her Cowboy Bebop collaborators). Going to go watch it now ... yeah, sans translation, but when you've got visuals like that ... *drool*

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

PS

I couldnt find this anywhere, so I must ask;

Do the DVDs off cdJapan have any English subbtitles on them, 'cause if not I don't see the point. If they do Im definately getting Patlabor 3 and the Cowboy Bebop: KOHD DVD.

Replying to:

Hmm. You're probably right about the bootlegs. And supporting the artists. Damn Ebay and damn the way it tempts me with it's cheap anime DVDs.

Maybe if I dont find anything cool to blow my cash on at the up-coming sci-fi convention Cassman mentioned a while ago Ill plunk down some cash at cdJapan.

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

No ...

The DVDs off of CD Japan are intended to be used in Japan, and thus for the MOST part don't have English subtitles. I know there are SOME Japanese discs out there that have English subs, but none of the ones I've picked up have had them (including Macross Zero, 3 discs of Mazinkaiser, and 2 discs of Ghost in the Shell TV). You also need to remember that Japanese DVDs are Region 2, wheras U.S. players are Region 1; I've got a regionless player at my disposal to watch my CD Japan-purchased goodies, but most people don't. Of course, if you're in the market for a regionless player, J-List (www.j-list.com) has them for a pretty reasonable price ... not much more than your average player at Wal-Mart, in fact.

Of course, I have found an admittedly cumbersome way around the "no subs" barrier; I signed up for a resource called Script Club (www.scriptclub.org), where they archive anime subtitle scripts. Hey, whatever gets the job done ... *sigh*

As for the two discs you mentioned, be patient; the U.S. releases of both aren't far off. Patlabor 3: WXIII comes out domestically on April 8. The Cowboy Bebop movie is a little farther off, due to its limited theatrical run that starts on Friday; the American DVD will be released June 24.

I can understand wondering what the point is if the discs have no subs; for me, the point is to bask in the technical beauty of the animation--and, of course, just to watch something that won't be out over here for months, if not years. And despite the language barrier, there's sort of a warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from watching old familiar characters being put through their paces again, like Fokker in Macross Zero, or the Section 9 crew in Ghost in the Shell. Heck, I didn't understand HALF of what happened in episode 4 of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it was still strangely magnetic ... the artistry of the show, the familiar cast, and y'know, on some level it's kinda fun racking my brain trying figure out, "What the heck is going on here?"

But that's probably just me.

--JLS

Replying to:

Do the DVDs off cdJapan have any English subbtitles on them, 'cause if not I don't see the point. If they do Im definately getting Patlabor 3 and the Cowboy Bebop: KOHD DVD.

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!

Re: No ...

Hmm.. I knew about the Region2 issue.

No English subs.? Damn.

I can see owning Macross Zero for its visuals, but unless an anime had amazing visuals like MZ, I couldnt blow $50 bucks on a 3 episode disk.

*bangs head against wall* Well I guess it's either Triad bootlegs, unintelligible genuine DVDs or wait many months, years even for stateside editions. Curse and swear.

Replying to:

The DVDs off of CD Japan are intended to be used in Japan, and thus for the MOST part don't have English subtitles. I know there are SOME Japanese discs out there that have English subs, but none of the ones I've picked up have had them (including Macross Zero, 3 discs of Mazinkaiser, and 2 discs of Ghost in the Shell TV). You also need to remember that Japanese DVDs are Region 2, wheras U.S. players are Region 1; I've got a regionless player at my disposal to watch my CD Japan-purchased goodies, but most people don't. Of course, if you're in the market for a regionless player, J-List (www.j-list.com) has them for a pretty reasonable price ... not much more than your average player at Wal-Mart, in fact.

Of course, I have found an admittedly cumbersome way around the "no subs" barrier; I signed up for a resource called Script Club (www.scriptclub.org), where they archive anime subtitle scripts. Hey, whatever gets the job done ... *sigh*

As for the two discs you mentioned, be patient; the U.S. releases of both aren't far off. Patlabor 3: WXIII comes out domestically on April 8. The Cowboy Bebop movie is a little farther off, due to its limited theatrical run that starts on Friday; the American DVD will be released June 24.

I can understand wondering what the point is if the discs have no subs; for me, the point is to bask in the technical beauty of the animation--and, of course, just to watch something that won't be out over here for months, if not years. And despite the language barrier, there's sort of a warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from watching old familiar characters being put through their paces again, like Fokker in Macross Zero, or the Section 9 crew in Ghost in the Shell. Heck, I didn't understand HALF of what happened in episode 4 of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it was still strangely magnetic ... the artistry of the show, the familiar cast, and y'know, on some level it's kinda fun racking my brain trying figure out, "What the heck is going on here?"

But that's probably just me.

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

Replying to:

--JLS

Replying to:

I'll stop spamming now

Replying to:

Au revoir!