General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Actually, I think I saw it today ...

Oh those silly, silly people at HG ...

I was watching "Dark Finale" today, and either right before or after the episode title came up, the words "A.D. 2044" came up on the screen, in the EXACT SAME FONT used back in "Boobytrap" for the SDF-1 montage. Methinks there will be some fervent Early Returners kicking their TVs right about now. Aside from the fact that it just HAPPENED to be New Gen they did it on--the one part of the series where there still IS serious controversy as to when it occurred--it's not a bad idea.

I'll be watching "Symphony of Light" tomorrow, tho, to see if there's been anything more major done to the series.

--JLS

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks, Cap, for the notes, since I don't have cable and, by extention, Cartoon Network anymore.

"Looks to me like HG's prepared the ol' TV show to go back into circulation. I doubt this is the alteration they spoke of; they said it was something IN one of the episodes. My guess at this point is seriously something relating to the REF fleet at the end of New Gen; maybe we get a glimpse of the SDF-3, or Admiral Hunter circa New Gen, or something along those lines."

Very interesting. Your guess of a surer bridging scene between the original series and the new series makes a lot of sense. I also wonder if we'll see any of the things I wished for for an original series re-issue as stated in my Issue Four "Cassman Cometh" column.

Any other guesses/ideas, guys?

Replying to:

Unlike the rest of the stuff airing on Giant Robot Week, "Boobytrap" was shown in its full original-length glory. Of course, being a pre-edited TV dub of an anime program to begin with that's not TOTALLY surprising, but I seem to recall some material trimmed last time "Boobytrap" aired on Cartoon Network.

HOWEVER, during the end credit sequence (squeezed onto the bottom half of the screen), I noticed something new. On the last two pages of the credit sequence, there were some alterations to keep up with the times.

First off, where it once said that ROBOTECH was a trademark of Revell (which it hasn't been since 1987), it now reads:

"Robotech and all associated names, logos, and related indicia are trademarks of HARMONY GOLD USA, Inc."

The final page of the credits is totally different. Where it once spoke of comic adaptations by Comico it says (imagine this in the large, seafoam green italic font used in the Robotech credit sequence, centered in front of Rick's VF-1J):

Read the comic books from

D.C. Comics/Wildstorm Productions

visit

ROBOTECH.COM

the official headquarters

of the Robotech universe

("ROBOTECH.COM" in this instance is in the Robotech font as well.)

Looks to me like HG's prepared the ol' TV show to go back into circulation. I doubt this is the alteration they spoke of; they said it was something IN one of the episodes. My guess at this point is seriously something relating to the REF fleet at the end of New Gen; maybe we get a glimpse of the SDF-3, or Admiral Hunter circa New Gen, or something along those lines. After all, they picked the three Nadesico episodes they aired because they presented a solid little arc; I suspect the Robotech episodes were picked for deep and serious reasons as well--maybe a "compare and contrast" complete with new footage is there.

*sigh* I guess we'll see either tomorrow or Friday.

--JLS

Yep, you got it. And a prize to boot. Lucky bastard... [nt]

Replying to:

Oh those silly, silly people at HG ...

I was watching "Dark Finale" today, and either right before or after the episode title came up, the words "A.D. 2044" came up on the screen, in the EXACT SAME FONT used back in "Boobytrap" for the SDF-1 montage. Methinks there will be some fervent Early Returners kicking their TVs right about now. Aside from the fact that it just HAPPENED to be New Gen they did it on--the one part of the series where there still IS serious controversy as to when it occurred--it's not a bad idea.

I'll be watching "Symphony of Light" tomorrow, tho, to see if there's been anything more major done to the series.

--JLS

Replying to:

Thanks, Cap, for the notes, since I don't have cable and, by extention, Cartoon Network anymore.

"Looks to me like HG's prepared the ol' TV show to go back into circulation. I doubt this is the alteration they spoke of; they said it was something IN one of the episodes. My guess at this point is seriously something relating to the REF fleet at the end of New Gen; maybe we get a glimpse of the SDF-3, or Admiral Hunter circa New Gen, or something along those lines."

Very interesting. Your guess of a surer bridging scene between the original series and the new series makes a lot of sense. I also wonder if we'll see any of the things I wished for for an original series re-issue as stated in my Issue Four "Cassman Cometh" column.

Any other guesses/ideas, guys?

Replying to:

Unlike the rest of the stuff airing on Giant Robot Week, "Boobytrap" was shown in its full original-length glory. Of course, being a pre-edited TV dub of an anime program to begin with that's not TOTALLY surprising, but I seem to recall some material trimmed last time "Boobytrap" aired on Cartoon Network.

HOWEVER, during the end credit sequence (squeezed onto the bottom half of the screen), I noticed something new. On the last two pages of the credit sequence, there were some alterations to keep up with the times.

First off, where it once said that ROBOTECH was a trademark of Revell (which it hasn't been since 1987), it now reads:

"Robotech and all associated names, logos, and related indicia are trademarks of HARMONY GOLD USA, Inc."

The final page of the credits is totally different. Where it once spoke of comic adaptations by Comico it says (imagine this in the large, seafoam green italic font used in the Robotech credit sequence, centered in front of Rick's VF-1J):

Read the comic books from

D.C. Comics/Wildstorm Productions

visit

ROBOTECH.COM

the official headquarters

of the Robotech universe

("ROBOTECH.COM" in this instance is in the Robotech font as well.)

Looks to me like HG's prepared the ol' TV show to go back into circulation. I doubt this is the alteration they spoke of; they said it was something IN one of the episodes. My guess at this point is seriously something relating to the REF fleet at the end of New Gen; maybe we get a glimpse of the SDF-3, or Admiral Hunter circa New Gen, or something along those lines. After all, they picked the three Nadesico episodes they aired because they presented a solid little arc; I suspect the Robotech episodes were picked for deep and serious reasons as well--maybe a "compare and contrast" complete with new footage is there.

*sigh* I guess we'll see either tomorrow or Friday.

--JLS