Horse-Tack-Exchange Message Board

Welcome to Horse-Tack-Exchange's Message Board! Feel free to include your horse and pony problems or start a new topic!

Horse-Tack-Exchange Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help!!!! Bucking shetland!!!!

Hi there people!!! I have a problem with my shetland!!! He is the most gorgeous loving pony, i bought him when he was 4yrs he is now due to turn 6yrs at the end of may. When i veiwed him i saw the sellers daughter ride him, i have seen better riders of her age to say the least...however he did the basics and i was more intrested in having him for in-hand showing. The lady told me that he had never been driven before, (im into driving and had also thought he would make a nice driving pony)however a couple of weeks ago i found out from a friend of a friend that he had been driven with his previous owner and had had a very nasty accident. This ruled driving out for a while and explain why i was having numerous problems with him. I put him under saddle and to start with was ridden a couple of time by a very confident young boy who had his own showjumping ponies however his competing meant that he didn't have time to ride him so he got left. Basically now due to his accident i have ended up with a pony that is nervous and throws bucking fits when he is being ridden. He'll be riding quietly for weeks then he'll throw a complete fit out of the blue. i don't want to give up on him because i know he'll make a fantastic riding pony. Does anyone have any ideas or advice which might jus get him going. It's like we're taking 1 stap fprward and 3 steps back rather than 2!!! Not only that but it's frustrating and heartbreaking. The stroy is so long so what i've written probably doesn't make much sense but if you want to ask me any questions please feel free as any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you

Re: Help!!!! Bucking shetland!!!!

Hi,

I am one of the agony aunts on Horsetackexchange.

You have just described a shetland I purchased about 5 years ago!!. I bought this stunning pony, as I considered it could get to Olympia, as a ridden M & M.When we picked it up , first problem was to get her in the trailer!!!She was a fiend, but we thought oh well , we can get over that one . WRONG!!. She did exactley what you have described , alright for a while and then boom a complete nutter!!!

My opinion is this; ponies like that are DANGEROUS, not only to you, but to everyone who has to have anything to do with them,my Shettie had also been attempted to break for driving and this seemed to do her head in.

I was lucky, mine went as a very happy and contented broodmare, to an experienced and knowledgeable person, who knew her quirks.

You obviously cannot do that, but sometimes , (and it is very hard) you have to accept that some ponies will NOT be ridden.By persisting and thinking things might get better, is a risky business, and you could get hurt.Why not just show him in hand and cut your losses??If he is nice as you say, you should do well, and at least it is some sort of career for him.Just because he is a pony, does not mean he he Has to be ridden.There are 100's of nice and well behaved animals out there, cut your losses and accept!!.

There will be people who do not agree with me, so take this as just my opinion!!

Best of luck!!

Helen.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi there people!!! I have a problem with my shetland!!! He is the most gorgeous loving pony, i bought him when he was 4yrs he is now due to turn 6yrs at the end of may. When i veiwed him i saw the sellers daughter ride him, i have seen better riders of her age to say the least...however he did the basics and i was more intrested in having him for in-hand showing. The lady told me that he had never been driven before, (im into driving and had also thought he would make a nice driving pony)however a couple of weeks ago i found out from a friend of a friend that he had been driven with his previous owner and had had a very nasty accident. This ruled driving out for a while and explain why i was having numerous problems with him. I put him under saddle and to start with was ridden a couple of time by a very confident young boy who had his own showjumping ponies however his competing meant that he didn't have time to ride him so he got left. Basically now due to his accident i have ended up with a pony that is nervous and throws bucking fits when he is being ridden. He'll be riding quietly for weeks then he'll throw a complete fit out of the blue. i don't want to give up on him because i know he'll make a fantastic riding pony. Does anyone have any ideas or advice which might jus get him going. It's like we're taking 1 stap fprward and 3 steps back rather than 2!!! Not only that but it's frustrating and heartbreaking. The stroy is so long so what i've written probably doesn't make much sense but if you want to ask me any questions please feel free as any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you

Re: Help!!!! Bucking shetland!!!!

Hi,

I also think that you should use this pony for in-hand shows. If you ride him and he doesn't like it, then he will associate people with being ridden, which he obviously does not like! Have you tried contacting any trainers or (i know it may sound a bit OTT) horse whisperers? This could be very costly though , so maybe you could lunge him and show him in- hand during the showing season. And when he is not being used, he could make a great companion. Think of the horse and what he might be feeling.

I hope this has helped you , as i am not sure it will.
Good Luck!