Horse-Tack-Exchange Message Board

Welcome to Horse-Tack-Exchange's Message Board! Feel free to include your horse and pony problems or start a new topic!

Horse-Tack-Exchange Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Showing advice

It really depends on you or your horse. Traditionally there should be 9 or 11 plaits along the crest with a single plait in the forelock to make the number even. However if your horse has a very short neck you can get away with 13 smaller plaits to make it look a little longer. Likewise if it has a very long neck you should do a lesser number to give the optical illusion of the neck appearing shorter. Never do an even number of plaits along the crest as it will appear to cut the neck in half. If your horse has a thick neck set the plaits lower to thin it out a bit or if it has a thin neck set them higher to thicken it.

I show my welsh pony in hand and for M&M classes she isn't plaited apart from a single unrolled plait behind the ear to show off the jawline. However when I show her in hunter and show pony classes I braid her mane about 4-6 inches from the crest along the entire length to give a single plait rather than the golf balls she would end up with as she has such a lovely thick mane.

There are a few books on the market that address manes and plaiting for shows and I suggest you have a nosey and keep one for reference. Also plaiting isn't easy so I suggest you have a practice the week before the show so you know what you are doing and also to see how much time you need to allow.

I hope this helps.

Joanne

Re: Re: Showing advice

Hi Joanne

Thanks so much for the advice about showing and plaiting my horses mane , it has really hepled me.

Horse face

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It really depends on you or your horse. Traditionally there should be 9 or 11 plaits along the crest with a single plait in the forelock to make the number even. However if your horse has a very short neck you can get away with 13 smaller plaits to make it look a little longer. Likewise if it has a very long neck you should do a lesser number to give the optical illusion of the neck appearing shorter. Never do an even number of plaits along the crest as it will appear to cut the neck in half. If your horse has a thick neck set the plaits lower to thin it out a bit or if it has a thin neck set them higher to thicken it.

I show my welsh pony in hand and for M&M classes she isn't plaited apart from a single unrolled plait behind the ear to show off the jawline. However when I show her in hunter and show pony classes I braid her mane about 4-6 inches from the crest along the entire length to give a single plait rather than the golf balls she would end up with as she has such a lovely thick mane.

There are a few books on the market that address manes and plaiting for shows and I suggest you have a nosey and keep one for reference. Also plaiting isn't easy so I suggest you have a practice the week before the show so you know what you are doing and also to see how much time you need to allow.

I hope this helps.

Joanne

Re: Re: Re: Showing advice

Hi. It actually depends on the judges. I find it a good idea to find out who the judge is and their preferences. Traditionally its 9 or 11 not including the forelock according to some and including it according to others (I have had differing opinions from many top class show people and judges and you will find the same in the books, none of them can really decide. I stick to nine + forelock on our longer necked ponies and 11 forelock on our shorties! As long as you don't have hundreds they judges are quite adaptable and won't mark you down unless they are messy! I have proof this works as my ponies have always been placed in the first 4 at our local shows and it has never been an issue.

Replying to:

Hi Joanne

Thanks so much for the advice about showing and plaiting my horses mane , it has really hepled me.

Horse face

Replying to:

I hope this helps.

Joanne