Return to Website

Guernsey Scenes Message Board

Guernsey Scenes Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catching up with memories

On an earlier message that I left on this page I was saying about my family coming from Guernsey, and that my Grandparent had lived on The Esplanade, running a Guest House. In September this year, we travelled from Australia where we now live and visited family in the UK, and were fortunate enough to manage a trip to Guernsey. Although it was only for four days (not long enough) my sister and I managed to go to places that we remembered from our childhood holidays there. We managed to find our Grandparents house along the waterfront, although we passed it twice as it has changed from how it used to look. There used to be a glassed in porch in the front, and a fence. This has all gone to make way for car parking. I still brought home some lovely memories, I just wish it could have been longer. We even had a paddle, even though the water was freezing. I have loads of photos to look through. We were very dissapointed to find that the Market Halls were gone. It was one place that I was really hoping to experience again, and to take my Husband there to show him. I could have cried when I realised that they were not there any more. I can still remember the smell of fresh fruit and veg, and the excitement of live crabs waiting to be cooked once you had chosen the one that you wanted. Never mind. It was a great experience, and I am so glad that we were able to go there just one more time. Thank you.