Return to Website

Lauren Henderson Message Board

discuss.

Tart City Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Writer's C.V

Just read in the trusty W&A yearbook not to rehash my academic one, but keep it more biographical.
It's not proving easy to write at all and I certainly don't want to write 'Alice: The early years' and bore people. Any tips to keep it to one side of A4?

Re: Writer's C.V

Gosh, mostly I'm asked for 100 words or less. This is for selling your writing work, yes? So don't they just want to know what you've done/where you are now? Am not sure an academic cv is much use if you're trying to sell fiction, though I guess it can show you've at least applied yourself to something in the past! It's never occurred to me that sending a cv is relevant to selling your book - a biographical para perhaps, but a whole cv? They're not employing you to work in the office after all, so why would it matter what you've done? (Obviously that doesn't apply if you're off the telly/married to someone off the telly. Then a biographical cv is quite possibly ALL you need ...)

Re: Writer's C.V

As I'm not off the telly, and not (yet) married to someone off it - one paragraph of magic shouldn't be too difficult. Mind you I trawled the W&A Yrbk website yesterday, and picked on a few Agents pages for research purposes re: submissions... not exactly a industry standard is there? Everyone wants different things, gave me quite a headache. Still I'm not giving up. I entered the Waterstones short-story postcard competition last Summer, and my postcard didn't make the final rounds or indeed their book, but it did make the window of our local branch. That was a bit of a thrill and I am now determined to see my book published and in Waterstones. Tomorrow, it will be done. 100 words. Easy peasy. 100 choice words, not so easy...