Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanting to buy an apartment in Salou, advice needed..

I've been on several holidays to Salou over the past 6 years, loved it each time and have decided that I'd like to get my own place there. I would ideally like a modern apartment, 2 bedrooms, nice balcony, views, pool, elevator, air conditioning and as close to the beach, magic fountains, Avinguda de Carles Buigas/D'Andorra/Passeig de Jaume areas I as possible.

It's a bit further than I was hoping to go (last stayed in Priorat) but have noticed several apartments for sale in the Catalonia Gardens complex, any idea why so many are selling at once there, and would you recommend or avoid?

I've been keeping an eye on Yaencontre.com, Ofertapisos and Barnamar for the last 6 months regularly but is there anywhere else that'd be good to kep an eye on, like most people I suppose I'm looking for a bargain or something cheap as possible. Coming from Ireland are 100% still available to a Spanish outsider.

Also, I'd intend to come for a week/ten days each month from April to October and rent out as much as I can the rest of the season, advertising it to people locally where I live in Ireland. If I were to do this, are there management companies or complex staff who will handle the key/money balance handover and do any necessary cleaning once the occupants have left, and if so what generally are the costs involved?

I realise this is quite detailed, but it can be quite daunting trying to decide whether to go for it or not so if anyone is able to help, I'd be very much grateful :)

ps, would there be a link online to any banks who are selling cheap properties that would be more likely to lend to sell them, where you can see details and photos of the actual properties for sale?

Re: Wanting to buy an apartment in Salou, advice needed..

Anyone?? lol

Dont waste your time mate, Salou is as dead as this forum. Try looking at Cambrils some great deals going there and its only 5mins from Salou anyway.

No banks are giving 100% anymore you would be lucky to get 80% plus fees are 10% of the asking price, this is a good time to buy but only if you have the cash.

The main problem with trying to get a mortgage from a Bank to buy a specific property : the Banks have THOUSANDS of properties on their books, and they would obviously prefer you buy one of theirs. And so, for every nice property you are interested in, they will find one of THEIRS which will always be cheaper...and then they might give a mortgage on it.Fine if you like their property better, of course!!
I am not sure, but I believe you have to have a residencia at least, to qualify for a Spanish mortgage. You must also produce evidence of sufficient anual income to be able to afford the repayments.

If you are not looking to move here to work, but just to have a holiday property, then Salou and its environments are very attractive, and so too are the property prices at the moment. Up to 60% lower than say 4 years ago.
The idea of renting it out for whenever you are not here is a difficult proposition though. The Tax Man here has clamped down very hard on this, and will want a hefty annual payment from you. If you do it legally, then you will have to have Public Liability Insurance, and it will involve having a Spanish Accountant/Solicitor to handle everything on your behalf, if you cannot speak Spanish or Catalan.

Thanks guys, some food for thought.

Another idea I was considering was to rent an apartment €400/500 a month over a year, might be less hassle. There are so few up to rent centrally online though. Know of anywhere I should keep watch on over the next couple of months for them?