Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help with police statement

hi I wondering if you can help me , we recently had a holiday in salou and whilst on Capallans beach we had all our valuables stolen.The police took a statement but the statement is wrongly worded saying that we were all in sea but infact I was not in the sea and the bag was next to me on the sand. The police took the statement off my husband because it was his wallet that had been stolen and it does not mention the fact that i was with the bag when the items were stolen. I asked the interpreter to read the statement back to us but she just shrugged and said yes yes everything is fine we have listed the things that you lost. it wasnt until we returned to England and was able to translate the statement that we become aware that the wording is wrong and this will effect our claim for insurance ( as it says we left the bag unattended ) I have tried to find the number of the police dept that dealt with us but I'm unsure if its the correct one. the police station was the one past the hotel paso on carrer salvador espriu. I need to contact them and see if they will correct the statement Any help would be greatfully appreciated kind regards Babz

Re: help with police statement

I have just tried ringing the number in the useful numbers here on the website and no one speaks english so they cant help me !

Hi
This is the link to the address and phone number http://www.guias11811.es/informacion-contacto/M378117349/MOSSOS-D%C2%B4ESQUADRA-SALOU---VILA-SECA/

Mossos D´esquadra Salou - Vila Seca
Calle Salvador Espriu (de), 23 | Salou (Tarragona)
Policía Autonómica | Salou

Teléfono: 977 92 94 00

thank you, but I have rang that number earlier today and no one spoke english and they just hung up on me :(

what was stolen exactly asif its small amount I don't see them helpiing

A wallet with 200 Euros , a Samsung galaxy S3 a pentax 15 megapix camera and a nintendo DsXL so about 800 Euros worth of stuff

First of all, if you signed the statement as being correct before you left the police station, I think you have little or no hope of getting it re-worded. It would entail a completely new claim being made out and I doubt that could be done without you being present. It helps to read the insurance small print before you visit the police station so if any 'adjustments' need to be made you will be prepared. Secondly, and of no help whatsoever to you, may this be a warning to everyone that taking €800 worth of stuff to the beach is asking for trouble.

Thank you for your condescending reply but I really don't need you to point this out but if it makes you feel more important than you actually are then go ahead an be as condescending as you like I will just treat you with the disdain you deserve and ignore your response

I apologise if my reply appeared to be condescending - it certainly wasn't intended. I, too, have been the victim of theft in Spain and I understand how devastating it is. I have also been let down by insurance policies and their small print. My last comment was not meant to make you feel bad, simply to try to avoid anyone else making the same mistake. I tried to give a reasonable answer to your post and feel I do not deserve your sharp words.

CJ
First of all, if you signed the statement as being correct before you left the police station, I think you have little or no hope of getting it re-worded. It would entail a completely new claim being made out and I doubt that could be done without you being present. It helps to read the insurance small print before you visit the police station so if any 'adjustments' need to be made you will be prepared. Secondly, and of no help whatsoever to you, may this be a warning to everyone that taking €800 worth of stuff to the beach is asking for trouble.

Spot on CJ.

I was merely asking for useful phone numbers not to be preached at and ridiculed

You didn't need any help for that, you did it all on your own!!

Yes, it WOULD be nice to be able to take whatever you want, wherever you want, but sadly, the World isn't like that. HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of times, people are told to take the MINIMUM of requirements anywhere they go, but people still don't listen, and then expect sympathy. Insurances are for ACCIDENTS, not to compensate for peoples' stupidity.And it WAS stupid to take all those things to the beach.
DON'T keep ALL your valuables in one place, if you REALLY can't manage without them for a few hours.
It really isn't that difficult to understand

I dint not ask for your or anybody elses sympathy !! and you do not know me or the circumstances so unless you have nothing constructive to say butt out !You're nothing more than a TROLL getting amusement from upsetting others I will no longer bother with this site because of unfortunate people like you

OK, on your behalf, I rang the police station this evening and explained your problem and tried to argue your case. The advice given was, I'm afraid, as expected. There is no way you can change the wording of a denuncia, you would have to present yourself again at the police station and make a new claim. My intention was never to preach or ridicule, what would be the point?

I have to hand it to you CJ. Your original post was obviouslly not condescending and instead of retaliating with a nasty reply you have gone out of your way to be even more helpful. Many could learn from this.

Well said Lola, CJ was just being kind and I feel quite caring to someone with an attitude problem and probably using their so called valuables for all to see, Oh! look what I have!!

Please everyone stay as kind, we are not all the same.
Regards
Linda

Well, Babz has been true to her word and 'not bothered with this site any more'. It makes you bloody wonder why you try to give helpful advice to people who evidently don't have the manners or education to appreciate it.

Not just here either. Babz was given sound advice on Tripadvisor as well. No feedback, nothing after her original post.

To repeat some very good advice that has been posted here over the years:
DON'T take out with you, any more than you REALLY need each day; leave the rest in a safe place.
DO ensure you write down the serial and model numbers of ALL electronic/photographic gear: without it, the Police won't stand a chance of recovering it, the Insurance Company more often than not will reject any claim (they will seize EVERY opportunity to refuse the claim), and if you really MUST take valuable things with you, ensure you distribute them amongst as many people, and places, as you can. To leave everything in ONE bag is just asking for trouble, and making it so much easier for opportunistic thieves. There are teams of thieves working throughout Europe, and they are VERY well organised:it is big business for them.
People will sit on the beach and observe 'who has what', and what they do with it. When they see something worth stealing, they will wait their time, and pounce in seconds, and more often than not, the owner won't even realise they have been robbed until later.
Theft is big business: DON'T FEED IT, by making it easy for them.

babz
I dint not ask for your or anybody elses sympathy !! and you do not know me or the circumstances so unless you have nothing constructive to say butt out !You're nothing more than a TROLL getting amusement from upsetting others I will no longer bother with this site because of unfortunate people like you

And in reply to this: Firstly, I don't find theft even remotely amusing, any more than I find people taking expensive equipment and lots of money to the BEACH to be sensible.
I don't HAVE to know you to recognise your errors, for what they are.
Basically, stupidity like this deserves to be hit upon, in the hope that others who read this,won't be so stupid when they come here.
The Police Force here have far more important things to do than nannying careless people, writing out reams of pointless reports on things lost/stolen here (and they write out HUNDREDS, if not thousands each year). Just remember: any compensation paid out to people who claim from Insurance Companies is paid for by everybody, not just you.
CJ, I am sure everybody else who read your original post thought it was good advice, and not at all 'abusive'. Thanks for your sensible and realistic advice
PS: forgot to mention: I enquired in the Cash Converter shop in Reus when I was there, and advised them of the stuff stolen, and to look out for it.