Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cleaning work

i am hoping to move over to salou area in november with my family.me and my 22 year old son have 10 years and 3 years professional cleaning experience.we are willing to do pubs,clubs,houses hotels any cleaning jobs going as we want to make a new life in the place we holiday every year.my other son has just achieved his diploma in admin,imformation and technology so he would be looking for work in that field.any help or imformation gratefully appreciated.

Re: cleaning work

Not AGAIN??. Are you separated from your husband, or do you just not talk to each other? Nothing's changed since HE asked the same thing
http://pub23.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1896262896&frmid=24&msgid=880724&cmd=show

There are hundreds of Spanish fighting over cleaning jobs. A lot of them only earn the minimum wage of about 600 Euros a month, if they're lucky. And now the government is talking about abolishing the minimum wage which will make matters even worse. And why should a Brit take away their work anyway?

Also re admin and IT - even more difficult. Unless you speak Spanish or Catalan you have no chance!

A lot of people are having a real hard time over here. You should learn Spanish and read the local press to find out.

Get real!!!!

I wouldn't even consider risking renting a property to you, on the basis of what you and your husband have written here. 4 adults, one disabled, and no prospect of work for at LEAST 6 months( if EVER)? You would have to pay ME a year in advance for rent and electricity and water etc,,PLUS a 3 month rent deposit up front,( total of 12,000 euros) and even THEN it would be a fixed term one year rental contract. And I STILL wouldn't risk it, and I doubt anybody else would either.
Under the new Laws covering renting out private homes, I would be liable to pay tax on the rent even if YOU were unable to pay ME after a while.
No thanks.

This forum is supposed to be for giving helpful advice and for the promotion of Salou, I suggest it is shut down for good, as all it has these days s people slagging each other off, people trashing other business owners and absolutly nothing positive about Salou.
God if i was an outsider and thinking of moving to Salou I certainly wouldnt want to associate with 90% of the locals that frequent this forum.

*** Try Salou Spotlight for 'constructive' advice and much friendlier folk ***

In response to 2 sarcastic replies.yes I do speak to my husband.and secondly how do you know we don't have savings to cover us for a few years.you don't so do not prejudice me as you don't know me or my family.I holiday in salou every year and have made friends and always been made welcome.I take it I have never met you if I had I had would never have returned to salou.

So local is quite happy for millions of British tourists to come to salou but don't want them living in salou.take away British tourists and all the British bars and your salou has nothing.you should be promoting salou for the beautiful friendly place it is.

You asked some questions in your original post, and I answered them, WITHOUT prejudice, as honestly and directly as I could. You, and a couple of other 'drive-by' commentors decided to take umbrage at my answers. HOW does that come across as not wanting Brits to come and live in Salou?
And then you come back, and ask the self-same questions...and expect a different answer?
In a nutshell:
If you don't speak Spanish or Catalan fluently, you will NOT find 'IT and Admin' (whatever that is supposed to mean) work HERE, especially without having any real life experience.
As already pointed out more than once,CLEANERS ARE TEN A PENNY, AND MOSTLY SPANISH, OR SPANISH SPEAKING. If you can't get work in the UK, how the Heck can you expect to compete in Spain? The unemployment levels here are horrendous. You are 99% guaranteed to fail.
How you interpret genuine advice as being 'sarcastic' is beyond me.
But please,go ahead. Give up your relative security at home, and throw it all away and jump into the 'brave New World' you seem to believe awaits you here. It won't affect me in the slightest.
I am sure the average British Tax-payer will be delighted at the thought they are sponsoring somebody going to sit in the sun and enjoy themselves at THEIR expense.
Yes. The UK Benefits system has gone stark, raving mad.

My husband has worked most of his life till he got a disability,I have worked for years before getting made redundant,my eldest son has worked since leaving school and my youngest son has just ffinished 2 years passing a diploma at college.so the British government does not keep us like you presume.all we are looking for a fresh start is that such a crime.if I was a millionaire wanting to come to salou and open businesses employing locals you would welcome me with open arms.I think future holidays or moving would be better away from salou where we might be welcomed.6l

dennis mirren
...snip...if I was a millionaire wanting to come to salou and open businesses employing locals you would welcome me with open arms.....

QED. And that is considered WRONG by you?

I could not agree more with the comments made by Pathetic, what a bunch of t wats giving so called advice. If everyone living in the Salou area is of the same ilk as Local, my advice would be to try a different Spanish town.
And to Local, please, stop drinking before you use the internet.

Comments written by property owner and local are clearly written by Nick overuse of capitals ,faces and exclamation marks as always.Dennis don't let him put you off he paints a very bleak picture which is not true,
There is a big difference between cleaners and professional cleaners as I know due to experience in the bar trade and property business and you don't need language skills for that.You will find a very nice apartment for 500 to 600 per month or house for 700 to 800 as rentals are a lot cheaper nowadays.
Good luck in your searches look forward to meeting you and your family.
I might know of a house for the winter at a good price that you could use unil you find something permanent leave it with me and I will get back to you.

Very much appreciated.good to get positive comments from decent welcoming people of salou.everytime I have been to salou which is many times I have been welcomed with open arms that is why me and my family consider it home.the longest period of the year is waiting to come back.people can give as many negative comments they want but it won't change our love of salou.7

Neighbour
There are hundreds of Spanish fighting over cleaning jobs. A lot of them only earn the minimum wage of about 600 Euros a month, if they're lucky. And now the government is talking about abolishing the minimum wage which will make matters even worse. And why should a Brit take away their work anyway?

Also re admin and IT - even more difficult. Unless you speak Spanish or Catalan you have no chance!

A lot of people are having a real hard time over here. You should learn Spanish and read the local press to find out.

Get real!!!!

listen neighbour or nick what a load of rubbish .Why should brits take there work ,what nonsense its a free market and since when was the minimum wage 600,read the press ,wake up and smell the coffee

long time resident
Neighbour

Get real!!!!

listen neighbour or nick what a load of rubbish .Why should brits take there work ,what nonsense its a free market and since when was the minimum wage 600,read the press ,wake up and smell the coffee

So. If you are so sure that they will find work, and be able to afford the lifestyle to which they have apparently become accustomed, how about backing up your irresponsible advice with an agreement to fund them if they DO fail to find the specific employment they are 'qualified' for, and also guarantee their fares back to the UK? Put your money where your mouth is
Because to act with such irresponsibility in painting a picture of financial stability and prosperity to obviously gullible people is downright disgusting, and reprehensible to the extreme.
If you had followed your own advice, and read and listened to the Spanish, as WELL as the UK media, you would be aware that unemployment amongst school leavers up to the age of 24 is above 50%.Now, the ages of the two sons fall into that category, in case you hadn't noticed, and they no doubt have Little or no language skills when it comes to Spanish or Catalan. Out of that 50%+ unemployed Spanish youth, I am willing to bet that at least 20% will have achieved SOME sort of qualifications, and adding to that the fact that they are in their own country, and speak the language, they will probably get employment long before either of the two Mirren sons.
The King and the suit of clothes springs aptly to mind, when reading Mr. Mirren's ultimate post

dennis mirren
Very much appreciated.good to get positive comments from decent welcoming people of salou.everytime I have been to salou which is many times I have been welcomed with open arms that is why me and my family consider it home.the longest period of the year is waiting to come back.people can give as many negative comments they want but it won't change our love of salou.7

This obviously begs the question then...why bother asking for advice in the first place, when firstly, you know Salou so well, and have so many friends here, and secondly, you only wanted to hear what you WANTED to hear?
PS: And I took the time to go to check out what your entitlements would be, should you decide to come here. As I understand it, and 'not everything on the Net is true',you will be able to claim your disability allowance, but NOT your mobility allowance. I can't verify the veracity of that, but I hope you took the time to make sure yourself. Also, according to the site, you are only entitled to it as long as you spent a mínimum of 152 days, IIRC, in the UK prior to each period of claiming your allowance. Which would appear to mean you have to return to the UK for 6 months every year.

Locals been on the drink again, what a repulsive person, time for an intervention Salou. So welcoming, Benidorm then , or Tossa De Mar, Alicante, just keep me away from Local Salou.

To local.if you go looking for answers without knowing the correct question you won't find correct answers.fact very few people with disabilities get disability benefits in UK.including me.reading all your comments I have come to a final conclusion salou is your toy and nobody is allowed to touch it.so forget responding with your pitiful comments.thank god everyone in salou is not like you or salou as a holiday place would die a death.I am not stupid thinking everything will easy but if you want something bad enough you have to have drive and determination.something me and my family don't lack in.E

dennis mirren
To local.if you go looking for answers without knowing the correct question you won't find correct answers.fact very few people with disabilities get disability benefits in UK.including me.reading all your comments I have come to a final conclusion salou is your toy and nobody is allowed to touch it.so forget responding with your pitiful comments.thank god everyone in salou is not like you or salou as a holiday place would die a death.I am not stupid thinking everything will easy but if you want something bad enough you have to have drive and determination.something me and my family don't lack in.E

I attempted to point out to you that it is harder than ever NOW to make a new start in Salou.
Several other people have made almost identical comments as mine, but you chose to pick an argument with me. So be it.Anybody else who has lived in Salou for more than 25 years, and seen the ups and downs that have occurred here in that time, will tell you the same as I have.
You gave very Little detail in your original post, and I replied to that as best I could.
I'll try once more to clarify the problems that other people have faced trying to do the same as yourself, even when times weren't so hard.
CLEANING.
Almost all Hotels use contract cleaners.
Bars and restaurants: generally the cleaning is done by the Staff; nobody wants to pay extra contracts for directly employed cleaners. It just isn't worth the expense, when they can get their already contracted workers to do it at the end or beginning of shifts.
Private house cleaners: good luck with that.You will need transport to get around enough houses (IF you can find enough that don't want their houses all cleaned on the same day).Perhaps you intend bringing a vehicle with you. It would be better to buy one here, because you are NOT allowed to use an English vehicle for formal and legal work here. You might get away with it for a while, but you could easily lose the vehicle to the compound if you are caught.
IT and Admin. You haven't said whether your son has any language skills, such as Spanish or Catalan. But I can assure you that any type of profesional work requires good skills in Catalan, and Spanish.Otherwise, it is down to menial work or labouring, or working in bars and restaurants.
If you intend to stay here permanently, a mínimum of 30 years of 6 month contracts will be required to qualify for a full Spanish pension...if such a thing even exists in a few years. You can combine English and Spanish contributions into one, but the Spanish part is very very Little.
The Tourist Market here is morphing more and more every year, and will continue to do so. There are still British Tourists coming, but in greatly reduced numbers this year, as has been the picture over the last 5 years.

I chose to reply, originally, to your questions, because I thought it unwise to give up your home in the UK, sever all your connections, and take the highly dangerous risk of trying to succeed here.If you took my comments as anything else other than trying to give sound advice, and saw them as a personal attack on you and your family, then that was the way you took it, and not my intention.
There are one or two people on this Fórum who would never bother to reply to you, until I make a comment. Then they simply attack me, without giving any sensible advice at all. As has happened here.
Feel free to follow THEIR advice if you choose to...but beware. Their intention is simply to heckle ME, and not give YOU the advice you might just do better to heed.
Fortunately their comments are so banal and pointless, they are simply wáter off a duck's feathers to me..I just feel sad that their rhetoric might influence you to make a decisión you could well come to regret.
But I doubt you will listen, and so I won't trouble you any more on the subject.
But just one final point: in your original post you stated you were inreceipt of a weekly disability benefit, and then in your LAST post above, you say you don't? Couldn't make head nor tail of that.

http://pub23.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1896262896&frmid=24&msgid=876436&cmd=show
This is typical of MY behaviour on Salou fórums.
I should apologise for using 'Local' as my name. It was cached from when I answered a question on a totally different Fórum, and I didn't notice until it was too late..

Salario Mínimo Interprofesional en Espana 2013

Será el indicado para «cualquier actividad». No obstante, los que trabajen por horas percibirán como mínimo 5,05 euros por hora efectiva de trabajo

• Real Decreto 1717/2012, de 28 de diciembre, por el que se fija el salario mínimo interprofesional para 2013

• En 1998 se equiparó el salario mínimo de los menores de 18 años con el de los mayores de dicha edad, fijándose un único salario mínimo.

• Para 2013 el salario mínimo para cualquier actividad queda determinado en 21,51 euros/día ó 645,30 euros/mes según que el salario esté fijado por días o por meses.
• Este salario se entiende referido a la jornada legal de trabajo en cada actividad, sin incluir en el caso del salario diario la parte proporcional de los domingos y festivos.

• Las cantidades indicadas anteriormente se verán incrementadas con los complementos salariales que correspondan.
En cómputo anual para 2013 la cuantía del Salario Mínimo Interprofesional, incluidas las pagas extraordinarias, no será inferior a 9.034,20 euros para trabajadores con jornada legal completa.

En caso de jornadas inferiores a las legales se percibirá la parte proporcional.

Importe para Empleados del Hogar Familiar

• Será el indicado para «cualquier actividad». No obstante, los que trabajen por horas percibirán como mínimo 5,05 euros por hora efectiva de trabajo.
• En dicho importe está incluida la parte proporcional de gratificaciones extraordinarias y vacacionesImporte para cualquier actividad

...which loosely translated means....for 2013 the minimum wage for any activity is determined at 21.51 euros / day or 645.30 euros / month depending on whether the salary is fixed by days or months.This is for the legal working day, not including Sundays and holidays.The annual total amount of the minimum wage, including bonuses is not less than 9034.20 euros for full legal time workers.

Family Domestic Employees: A minimum hourly 5.05 euros per hour worked including bonuses and holiday pay

Local, Have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Zip it, shrimpy!!!

LOL