Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pesetas

Hi,
Can anyone tell me please I have come across a few thousand pesetas in one of my wife's vanity cases (cleaning out the attic) can I take them to a spanish bank to cash to euros or has the timeline expired for the Pesetas conversion.
Cheers

Re: Pesetas

When Spain, along with 11 other European Union states, converted to the euro in January 2002, holders of pesetas had two months to swap their cash for the new currency. After that deadline, the so-called legacy currencies ceased to be legal tender.
However, some countries pledged to carry on accepting their old money indefinitely and, luckily for you, Spain was one of them.
The snag is that you can now make the exchange only through the country's national bank and its branches. I'm guessing you won't want to pop over to the Banco de Espana branch in Madrid or Barcelona to hand over the notes in person, but you can make the exchange by post.

You should send your notes by registered mail, along with a completed application form : -
http://www.bde.es/f/webbde/COM/servicio/modelo_presentacion_billetes_ingles_.pdf
Post to Banco de Espana, Departamento de Emision y Caja, Alcala 48, 28014 – Madrid.

The exchange rate is about £5 per 1,000 pesetas so it may not be worth it

Re: Pesetas

Thank you very much for the reply AVKID. She has a few thousand pesetas so we will probably try to exchange them.