Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Guinness Tavern

They say immitation is the highest form of flattery. Myself and my family are not flattered infact were are REALLY REALLY annoyed. The reason? we have spent 18 years building up the reputation of The Guinness Tavern We work hard treat our staff and customers well and never cause problems for anyone and John Nicoll has decided to open a restaurant called The Guinness Restaurant anyone notice the similarity?? He is obviously trying to cash in on our hard work and reputation WHY????? He is a successful bussiness man much more successfull than we will ever be and yet he is trying to harm our family bussiness. Does he have no morals? no concience? no heart? Holiday makers will not know there are 2 Guinness restaurants, his has the more prominent position on the street and we will undoubtedly loose customers something no one in these hard times can afford to do. Iwould ask him to reconsider the name.

Re: The Guinness Tavern

You couldnt make it up could you. It is just so wrong on so many levels.But just shows his true colours and the levels he is willing to go down to to try and destroy anyone who gets in his way. Sad little man.

I have given up drinking in any of that little empire. Overpriced and last time I was in Danny Boy there was a nice singalong 'Up the IRA' I think it was. Not very wise when your customer base is a fairly cosmopolitan bunch. Don't get me wrong, I like a good p**s take as much as the next person but terrorists are terrorists, be it ETA, IRA, Al-Qaeda etc. and not something to party to. You'll have to hand out flyers 'The Guinness Tavern - Beware of imitations'.

Before this becomes a slagging match, why doesn't some neutral mention to Mr Nicholls how Mr Mcgrath feels.

Maybe the two parties should met to discuss if they are in agreement that something could be done.

Trying talking first on the phone or in person.

Just to set the record straight Chris has been to talk to John he wont however answer Chris' phone calls he knows exactly how we feel. Just the same as anyone would if their name had been stolen but he obviously wont listen to reason.

Thanks for everyones support. It is reassuring to know people are behind us because we were feeling at a bit of a loss as to what we could do once the initial anger and disbelief had worn off. However we will come back fighting determind to do even better than before and work as hard as we can to make The Guinness Tavern special. Thank you!

The sad truth is this:The Guinness name/copyright belongs to NOBODY but Guinness, anywhere in the World. So the original Guinness Tavern is probably breaking copyright Law in the first place, unless they pay Guinness for the right to use their proprietory name.
Recalling the problems 'Snoopys' went through many years ago, having to change their name to the current 'Snoepy's' as a result of litigation proposed by the copyright holders, this might well be drawn to the attention of Guinness themselves, and BOTH venues could face litigation from that direction. Although possibly, Guinness may well consider it to be good, free advertising for themSELVES
But that having been said...I think it is very unfair, very disrespectful, and selfish of the new restaurant owner to behave in this way.
The truth is, and I think I am right, is that one business is a Life's work, a personal endeavour, and harms nobody.
The other business is one of many owned by the proprietor, and is now a hobby, pastime, or simple self-indulgence, backed up by not a Little ego trip...and totally WRONG.
Mr. Nicholl, you probably couldn't give a stuff, and you are smiling at the free advertising this 'crusade' is providing for BOTH restaurants...but you will certainly lose a lot of respect the community in Salou ever held for you...me included.
Perhaps you will reconsider your selected name, and change it in a demonstration of respect for long-established competitors here.

Well said.

Phone calls at 1.45am (english number) to my wife, and private number calling me at 5.45 am this morning will do nothing to deter me. I STICK UP FOR WHATS RIGHT !. CHRIS MCGRATH .

i think this subject has gone off topic and is now an avenue for a lot of people to air their views about certain people involved in this dispute.
Some people have rights to say things here and that is fair enough, But some of you that are using this as an excuse to be bit chy should do one.
Moderator if this topic is to continue - delete the childish comments from people not involved and leave the people who are involved to comment as they will.
I don't think an open area to slag one person should be allowed regardless of the topic or what that person has supposedly done.
People bringing other bars into the conversation that weren't succesfull should have a look at their own 100% track record.

realist
i think this subject has gone off topic and is now an avenue for a lot of people to air their views about certain people involved in this dispute.
Some people have rights to say things here and that is fair enough, But some of you that are using this as an excuse to be bit chy should do one.
Moderator if this topic is to continue - delete the childish comments from people not involved and leave the people who are involved to comment as they will.
I don't think an open area to slag one person should be allowed regardless of the topic or what that person has supposedly done.
People bringing other bars into the conversation that weren't succesfull should have a look at their own 100% track record.

Yet ANOTHER armchair wannabe Mod. LET THE MODS DO THEIR JOB AS THEY SEE FIT. and 'do one' yourself---PLEASE

Armchair Mod? What an amazing insult. Ha i will jump on my Vespa and Ill leave all you petty people to squabble over a 'name' I hope all these self righteous messages make you all feel better, as at the end of the day who cares what you think.