Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
currency exchange

Could anyone let me know where the best place in salou is for exchanging my currency with no commision. Ive noticed from all the time going abroad that you get better deals abroad especially with the Euro being so low. Thanks

Re: currency exchange

Well.... not in Salou at the moment - maybe at the end of the Summer in October when all the workers are going back to UK and want pounds.
You will be very lucky to get 1.10 at the moment.... more like 1.05. I would do a deal before you go, maybe with Post Office or Thomson

Not 100% sure, but I think Marks & Spencer normally have one of the better exchange rates as well

You could also keep an eye on this money exchange comparison website:-

http://www.compareholidaymoney.com

Have a good holiday

Thanks ive just bin to town and its 1.10 there at the minute all bin well it starts to go up a bit soon il check that website out too thanks both of you x

We go to Salou every year, used to take travellers cheques and cash, and used to hunt round for the best exchange rates....until we realised there is a branch of Barclays in Salou (on the front, not far from the fountain) now I just take my bank card and draw out in Euros when we get there.

It seems to work out much cheaper, although we do bank with Barclays at home, if you do too, its worth considering.

I am with Barclays in UK... and on several occasions have asked them for GBP/euro exchange rates... sometimes for large amounts of sterling. Needless to say we have never done a deal! Their rate in the UK never gets anywhere near M&S, Travelex or the PO... and if you are talking thousands then it has to be moneycorp.com

Thanks I could remeber the bank but not the name of it so thanks for pointing that out. The best place Ive found is cooperative travel at 1.10 then the post office is 1.09 ive got 7 wk left before i go so im hoping for the euro to get better but probly not. Cant wait to go back to salou its my fourth time x

'Probably not' is a good guess.... you will need the Bank of England to significantly change the UK interest rate upwards from 0.5% for this to happen. The monthly BOE meeting have been voting with a good majority to keep it the same.
You might see a 0.25% or even a 'whoppin' 0.5% increase in the next 2 months but this is doubtful. Rates need to move to 3% or 4% to get sterling out of the doldrums... and this is very unlikely to happen in 2011 so I am afraid 1.10 euros to the UKBP is probably going to be THE norm for 2011
BUT do not fret too much. A recent survey put Spain at the top of European holiday destinations in the Value For Money league... even beating the likes of Portugal and ALL INCLUSIVE Turkey!