Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air Traffic Control - who'd have thought?

Didn't expect the ATC's to plan a series of strikes around Easter!

From those forum members who are based in Spain, what is the feeling? Will they strike or is there a reasonable chance of a settlement before the Easter influx of travellers?

A series of strikes would damage the holiday trade somewhat - which I suspect is the driving force behind the timing of the proposed action. Will they strike or might they settle?

Re: Air Traffic Control - who'd have thought?

A government minister said on last nights news that they will have urgent negotiations to make a deal . This would be drastic for spain and the government know it so my bet is that it will be sorted very quickly as even the thought of it happening will affect bookings.

Thanks, Local. Any idea what the grievance is? I seem to remember the Spanish Govt bringing in the military late last year, but it didn't get much air traffic moving. Let's all hope that the two sides aren't too far apart and an early agreement can be found.

They have discovered they can hold us to ransome at will, and they always seem to get their way. Google 'ATC salaries'..they earn a fortune or so it would seem. It used to be a very tense and difficult job to do, but with more and more technology to hand, I think they might well be hurrying along their demise by their behaviour. They certainly don't appear to have much public support...but do they care? Think not.

it seems that the spanish government want to sell off some airports and make them more efficient, the airport workers do not like this idea hence strike action.

As far as I can make out, it's not actually the ATC who are taking industrial action. It's the ground crews. These jobs can be partially covered by agency staff so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thats correct kay its ground crew like cleaners, baggage etc nothing to do with air traffic control, hopefully they will be shot by firing squad and replaced very soon. .Rumours are a deal is being done so no probs

ryanair are to approach the european commission to make strike action by any atc illegal.

The Spanish Government are looking to sell some valuable assets to raise around 40bn euro. Quite right, as well.

The people incumbent in the jobs of these operations are worried about losing their jobs in today's very difficult economic climate. Absolutely understand.

Potential buyers of said assets will look at the existing business models in place with a view to identifying synergies and potential cost savings, naturally.

Now please stop me if this sounds like common sense......what if the Spanish government were to bolt on a proviso in the sale(s) that the buyer(s) observe a 3 year moratorium on shedding jobs, for an asking price reduced by, maybe 10% or (and it doesn't sound too bad if you say it quickly) about 4bn euro.

This gives the Spanish economy a 3 year breathing space to commence recovery alongside the rest of the Euro Zone, it gives the current staff at least 3 years of stability (more than the rest of us have, eh?!!) and it gives the buyers a 3 year window to prepare their future business plan without risk of unrest.

Let's face it, Spain is (or was, until this week's threats) potentially in an extremely strong position for heading the tourism recovery, when compared against the near and far east political unrest and tsunami troubles, and the problems in some of the european neighbours.

With holiday makers looking for a 'safe' bet, Greece has already shot itself in the foot with civil unrest on a frequent basis, those who previously opted for Greece and its islands often have political doubts about going to Turkey, in order to keep solidartity with Greek friends, whilst the Eastern European (Bulgaria etc) bubble seemingly burst quite quickly, maybe as a result of us just not being used to the local ways of life out there. WShouting loudly in English to a Bulgarian waiter only has one effect.....and it's not good!

In short then, the most obvious destination of choice is Spain.........but the threat of industrial action could strike a big blow to what was, I suspect, shaping up to be the first good season for a while.

Let's all hope for a very quick resolution, but if it drags on a bit and any one of you has a 'tame' member of parliament, would you kindly plant the 10% discount idea in their mind? Just thinking outside the box.

RANT OVER!

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1626177.php/Spanish-government-attempts-to-avert-holiday-air-strike

Cautiously encouraging noises coming out of today's talks between unions and govt / AENA. Fingers crossed comrades, for a swift solution.

Hasta Luego!

Good news, the traffic controles and other airport staff strike have been avoided!

Now lets get all the tourist over here and let them have a fantastic time in SALOU.

RESULT!!!! To be honest, I was dreading the drive down through France and back again, which was my Plan B!!!! Hope all sides of the dispute are content with the outcome, I'm sure all traders in Spain must be well pleased!