Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lenny.

Two years ago to the very date, was the last time I ever saw Lenny, when he called me to do a couple of Shows at the Rovers Return.

Who could have ever guessed that he would be taken from us in such a short time?

He kept the Rovers Return open often long after most of Salou had shut down, because his philosophy was 'there might well be late-comers arriving, and looking forward to revisiting ROvers, and he never wanted to let them down, by not providing a familiar watering hole for them to return to. He knew he wasn't going to make money by staying open that late, but he felt it more important to be loyal to the people who came to Salou to have fun, and be recognised. Because that was Lenny. He could remember people who had visited The Rovers maybe only once or twice, years ago, and that was one of his secrets for success. Make people feel important as individuals.
And it worked, as we all know.

Lenny was one of the very first people to welcome me to Salou in 1986. As he welcomed so many others who were new to Salou, and tried to make them feel at 'home'.

Fond memories of the little Scotsman, in his shorts and socks and trainers walking up to Rovers...always a cheery wave and smile as he approached.

His little 'dustbin' habit (ugh!! )..his cheeky quips over the microphone...his salesmanship announcing '2 for 1 for the next ten minutes at the bar' when he thought the barstaff weren't working hard enough ...fond memories indeed.

4 weeks early with this thread, I know, but I was looking through some photos today, and sat and daydreamed for a while of one of the Greats of Salou, and feeling sad he has gone.

Never too early to remember somebody so fine..
RIP Lenny. You are missed so much, and always will be to the vast family of people who are Salou..whether here or in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England..or even the whole of Europe. Because that was who knew him..and loved him, and miss him.
God Bless.

Re: Lenny.

well said nick i still miss the wee git and shall have a green 1 for him

Re: Lenny.

gone but not forgot, lenny was a salou legend sadly missed, had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat coz every word u said was spot on nick