Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Immigrants make up 40 percent of the population in Salou

Computer translation from Diari

Still far from the data Rojales, Alicante, where foreigners make up 74% of registered voters, but each time closer to 49% of Castelló d'Empuries Catalan town with the highest percentage of immigrants, Salou has become, with 104 residents of different nationalities in a small UN and a great example of coexistence, but Girona, with citizens of 130 nationalities still tops the list. The national accounts for 59.835% of the total population of Salou, the foreign country with the largest presence in Salou is Senegal, with 1607 registered, which means nearly 6% of the total. In the same ranking, then fall Romanian citizens (851 registered), British (710), Moroccans (694) and Italian (531).

Model of cohesion

Among the many initiatives that have taken place in Salou to give cohesion to the diverse cultures that comprise it, is the creation of a colla castellera that is called The Global Salou and citizens which includes Senegal, Argentina and Ecuador. The aim is to strengthen ties and unite. Altogether, foreign immigrants arrived in the city greatly appreciates its stay in the capital of the Costa Daurada.

Jianrui Wang is the owner of a Chinese bazaar in Barcelona street which opened seven months ago. Since 2005 lives in Salou. "Before I lived in Reus. Here life is really good, people are very friendly and the truth is that neither I nor my family we can not complain, "he says. Although only speak Catalan or Castilian, he makes himself understood perfectly. His wife has a little more fluent with the language and are your children and employees who will facilitate communication. "The language has not been a problem. People are understanding and, ultimately, we understand, "he says with a smile on his face.

There are others like Britain's John Parker, who have many years in Salou. Parker is the owner of such famous pubs in Salou and the Old Brown Cow or Rafferty's. In his case, "landed in Salou 35 years ago, when I came to work as an engineer for Repsol. A little later I decided to open my first store, the Old Brown Cow "he explains.
Aziz Abdou Diop is another example of integration. He arrived ten years ago and says Senegal quite convinced that 'we have no problems with people in here, or anyone else. Salou is a good place to live. There are good people, sea and mild climate. A lot of us like the sun. "

For districts

Although the rule is not always true, there does exist a certain division by districts as to the origin of immigrants. Thus, in and around Carles Buigas Asians predominate. In Barcelona and surrounding streets, Africans. In North Street and South American developments such as Cap or Mirador, Europeans, mainly.

Re: Immigrants make up 40 percent of the population in Salou

What about the Irish,or are they not registered?
The numbers are not accurate anyway because I suspect ther are many people of many nationalities who live in rented accommodation and are not registered!