Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for a job

hi im moving to salou in 9weeks and im looking for work in a bar, cafe, or hair salon i have my nvq level 3 in hairdressing. i have worked in bars before and a restaurant. my email is deanmcginley@hotmail.com please get back to me if you have any info thank you

Re: looking for a job

CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME ANY INFO PLEASE??? LOL

OK, pin back your lugholes
You obviously haven't been to Salou before, from your previous posts. Nobody knows you, except BY your posts. The reality is this: there are probably 2 people available for every job going here. Most have worked here before, and employers will know them. So far you have given the impression that you haven't a clue: can't read or understand Accomodation Agencies. Don't know if you are a hairdresser or a waiter. All that comes across is somebody immature and clueless. Harsh? Sure. But many people fall by the wayside in their jobs, because they just don't understand that IT IS HARD WORK. Many think they can have a 'paid holiday'. Every night is party night to their idea, and that is far from the truth. Oh yes, at the beginning of the Season, and people are fresh, they feel up to partying all night, and rolling into work the next day looking like something the cat dragged in. That isn't good enough for professional Business owners, and it won't last long.
The last two seasons have been tough, and that requires less staff doing MORE work. HARD work, and responsibility. Spain, and Salou in general, is just like the UK. You have to work hard and consistently to a high level to last a Season out. Just because it is a Holiday resort and the sun shines and the holidaymakers are here for fun doesn't mean it is the same for workers. Sure they have fun, They work hard too. And those that don't will soon find themselves with an expensive apartment to pay for, bills and responsibilities, and no income to pay for it all.
More and more young Spanish are now able to speak English to a reasonable level, and so they are competing for jobs too. Hairdesssers are oversubscribed, so I am told.
You obviously don't speak any Spanish at all, and therefore it would appear you didn't even bother to try to learn some. Anybody who is serious about getting a good job, and prepared to work for it, would have taken some Spanish courses to at LEAST get by.
At this time of the year, most business owners aren't even starting to think about hiring new workers. They will mostly have a list of established workers from previous years to choose from, and would only consider somebody applying for work through a message board with suspicion.
Truthfully, your best bet would be to get here just before the Season begins, and go round all the places where your abilities will be viable, and hope you get lucky. You have been asking for apartments for rent. I presume you have enough money to be able to pay your rent for at least the first month,plus a deposit? That will mean turning up with around 1500€ to see you through until you find work.
And finally, one more tip. Get yourself here on a room-only holiday, for two weeks, and have at LEAST accomadation to go back to at night. If you don't find any work, you have a return flight already paid for, and security, instead of paying a bunch of money up front for an apartment, and having to lose it all because you can't afford to stay.
Now it is up to you.

(and would only consider somebody applying for work through a message board with suspicion.)

Can you tell me whats wrong with looking for a job through a message board,it's better than sitting on your backside hoping that 1 will fall into your lap,

H
(and would only consider somebody applying for work through a message board with suspicion.)

Can you tell me whats wrong with looking for a job through a message board,it's better than sitting on your backside hoping that 1 will fall into your lap,

Very simple. Typed words on a computer screen mean absolutely nothing.It would be to YOUR cost 100% if you didn't live up to your personal opinion of yourself, in the eyes of a potential employer. And you would have STILL invested in travel etc to no avail.
My advice was sensible, informed and purposeful. Yours seems sadly combative

Well you asked.
Well you Asked
(Typed words on a computer screen mean absolutely nothing..)

Does that mean ignore your original post?

nothing wrong with sending a speculitive enquirie through here especialy if you have no personal contacts i seem to remember some one last year constantly posting untill some one gave him a whole bunch of reasons not to come

Critic
Well you asked.
Well you Asked
(Typed words on a computer screen mean absolutely nothing..)

Does that mean ignore your original post?

Of course, if you choose to. If you think my comments are erroneous, then disregard them. Of course, you quoted me out of context...but then, my reply here still stands. Just out of interest, why respond to my post, yet refrain from offering any suggestions yourself? Ah...just bored

rik
nothing wrong with sending a speculitive enquirie through here especialy if you have no personal contacts i seem to remember some one last year constantly posting untill some one gave him a whole bunch of reasons not to come

You mean Craig Rustidge? He accepted the advice Kay and several others offered, and I believe he is planning to come out sometime this month, to do exactly as was suggested. Introduce himself around to the owners, see for himself what the prospects etc are, and decide then.

when applying for any job at home or abroad it is sensible to seek advice from others who know the ropes but also research the potential employers and above all market yourself to full potential, never go in with your eyes closed.
unfortunately too many people fall by the wayside because they do not follow these rules and that is exactly what Dean (who started this thread) has done, it is no use stating i am a hairdresser if i was going to apply for a job as a waiter or chef that would be irrelivent to the position, SELL YOURSELF to stand out from the crowd, dean does not say how long he has worked in bars or to what level , dean should send his cv to companies after researching contact names and e-mail adresses etc,not expect them to ask for it, if planning on working abroad at least try to learn their native language

keith w
when applying for any job at home or abroad it is sensible to seek advice from others who know the ropes but also research the potential employers and above all market yourself to full potential, never go in with your eyes closed.
unfortunately too many people fall by the wayside because they do not follow these rules and that is exactly what Dean (who started this thread) has done, it is no use stating i am a hairdresser if i was going to apply for a job as a waiter or chef that would be irrelivent to the position, SELL YOURSELF to stand out from the crowd, dean does not say how long he has worked in bars or to what level , dean should send his cv to companies after researching contact names and e-mail adresses etc,not expect them to ask for it, if planning on working abroad at least try to learn their native language

I agree you should at least get a basic understanding of the local language but have been in Salou for last 10 yrs and before that benidorm and personaly know more residents who have lived over here longer than that and still speak no spanish its a resort catering to brit speakers they never learnt or were to lazy perhaps learning to speak russian or arabic would be helpfull (I cant speak catalan except to say the usual greetings)

I only meant by my reply was that there is no harm in using a message board as 1 option,i got my first job in Salou through this message forum,that's not to say i wouldn't try other means too,everyone looking for a job should try everything they possibly can

Dean is only making a polite enquiry hoping i guess someone might email him where then they could swap more info, what the hell is wrong with that . To ,"well you asked "who do you think you are to be so rude and judgemental what a load of drivel you sound almost like a bully . Also you cant hide your real id as your threads are all the same SAGE aka NICK ETC, just ignore this guy dean there will be oportunities this summer come in may . People are always looking for fresh faces and prefer to higher them to be honest as alot of the local regular workers available leave alot to be desired,good luck.

Local Resident
Dean is only making a polite enquiry hoping i guess someone might email him where then they could swap more info, what the hell is wrong with that . To ,"well you asked "who do you think you are to be so rude and judgemental what a load of drivel you sound almost like a bully . Also you cant hide your real id as your threads are all the same SAGE aka NICK ETC, just ignore this guy dean there will be oportunities this summer come in may . People are always looking for fresh faces and prefer to higher them to be honest as alot of the local regular workers available leave alot to be desired,good luck.

You seem to be pretty well au fait with drivel.Why do you hide your identity then? Typical armchair critic. can't be bothered to help in the first place, then attacks somebody who gives sound advice. Go spout your acrimony and personal attacks somewhere else. You add NOTHING to the debate. Bye.
PS..it is spelled 'hire'..so you DID get something useful out of this thread after all