Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer 2010 - Jet2.com starts scheduled flights to Reus from Manchester

For those living in the Northwest, from Summer 2010 you have a new choice of airline to fly to Salou with.

Jet2.com is launching scheduled services to Reus from Manchester.

Spread the word, lets make it a success!!!!

Unfortunately I live 160 miles from Manchester though

Re: Summer 2010 - Jet2.com starts scheduled flights to Reus from Manchester

Great news Jim,

Hope it will bring more people to our great Salou and enjoyed the fantastic weather.

Nice one

thanks for the info, GREAT NEWS!
i have traveled with them before from manchester to barcelona (2 years ago) budget airline but good service and on time, i hope they put one in the eye of ryanair for letting custmers down

That's great news. However, I'm still waiting to hear of an airline that will be flying from the North of England into Reus during the winter. I feel that Ryanair have really let Reus airport down. Firstly, the local government actually had to pay Ryanair for the privelege of Reus airport becoming a hub. Then they dump most of the the winter flights from the UK. Does anybody know why ? I can honestly say that I've never been on a flight from Liverpool to Reus during the Winter that wasn't full.

Sorry, I forgot to make the point that Jet2 are only flying from Manchester to Reus from 24th May to 3rd October.

Hi Kay,

I think AENA may have inadvertently shot Reus in the foot.

I'm not 100% sure what I am saying is correct but I've got a good feeling it could be.

Ryanair have launched new routes to the Canary Islands from all the airports where Reus was served from.

Ryanair always say that an aircraft on the ground is not making money and pretty much all their money is made in the air. So the Canaries are a better winter option because:-

1) The weather is better and its a more popular winter destination so they can achieve higher flight prices than they could for Reus.

2) Most people can last 2 hours without resorting to buying overpriced food & drink onboard. On a 4 hour flight more people will give in and ancillary revenue is extremely important to Ryanair's bottom line. People will also get bored and may end up buying perfumes etc. from the onboard shop.

3) A return trip to the Canaries will utilise the aircraft for about 9 hours meaning they will not have the aircraft available to do the Reus flights as well.

4) And maybe the most important point of all. In order to boost Spanish tourism, AENA scrapped landing fees for their Spanish airports which means Ryanair can land at the Canaries for free. I'm pretty sure when the airports were charging, Reus would have been a cheaper airport to fly to, especially during the winter but as this incentive has effectively been removed, the Canaries have become a much more attractive choice to them.

Ryanair have stated that their future on these Canary routes very much depends on the continuation of these incentives.

I'm still very annoyed by what they've done but at the end of the day, as a business they are going to go where makes them the most money and I am sure that customer loyalty is the last thing on their mind.

Jim