Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There is SO much more to Catalunya than sea, sand and sun!!

Just about 20 kilometres outside of Salou, lies a ridge of rocky crags, towering over the flat 'plain' which holds Salou, Cambrils, Reus and many other small and not so small towns and villages in its bosom (am I allowed to say that? )
Although there are many interesting places to explore throughout this flat area of land, the most interesting parts to ME are contained in the hills and mountains that protect the plain from the worst of the weather. Poised perilously on the sandstone peaks of numerous mountains you can find tiny 'hermitages'; basically nothing more than a stone or brick 'shed' which contains a shrine or tiny church where the hermit would spend his days in thought and prayer. The fact that many of these men carried the stones and mortar and bricks to the top of the mountain and built them themselves was an incredible feat, and although aided by mules or donkeys, it was back-breaking work. The fact that many of them are still standing ( the buildings, not the men!!)today are a tribute to their basic building skills.
Anyway, I took some photos of the area round Montroig, which is inland from Cambrils by about 15 kilometres. It is a lovely drive through pleasant fields and country lanes, and there are plenty of villages with their bars and restaurants to supply you with a very reasonably-priced snack and a cold drink or two on your way up to the foot of the mountains.
This particular hermitage is very easily accessed, and with free parking at the bottom of the walkway up to the more modern church, which occupies the lower area which leads up to the tiny hermitage perched on the very top of the sandstone outcrop. Here are some photos for you to see.
Photobucket
This is the view from the carpark looking up to the hermitage towering high above you.
here, you can see the sandstone, which is constantly being eroded by wind and rain and the elements, upon which the whole series of buildings are constructed.
Photobucket
As you walk up the approach to the hermitage, you will see the bigger, slightly more modern church which was built just below it.
Photobucket
Inside the church are several rows of seats, many carved figures of influential and religious people sitting or standing in alcoves on the walls, and facing the beautiful figure behind the Altar, which is featured in this photo
Photobucket
Having looked around inside the church, and bought a candle to help support the church and its administration, you then pass across a flat plateau of sandstone worn smooth over the centuries. From here, you can see right across the plains to the sea, over the fields of olive and nut trees below.
Photobucket
Photobucket
This beautiful white dove watched our progress up the steep steps to the hermitage, and showed no fear of us at all.
Photobucket
You can see here,the way the hermitage sits perilously on an overhanging sheet of sandstone, and makes you wonder how much longer it will remain standing ?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here is another wonderful view out across the plains, from the very top of the mount.
Photobucket
And this is the commemorative plaque, giving the name of the hermit who built this place over 400 years ago.
Photobucket
This appears to be a relatively modern piece of sheetmetal sculpture which stands guard at the entrance to the two churches.
Photobucket

And finally, a short video taken the same day at another hermitage just a few kilometres north:

Sadly, as you an see in a couple of the photos, there was restoration work going on, and we could not go inside the actual hermitage on this occasion.

Well, I hope this was of interest to somebody, and I can heartily recommend visiting these out-of-the-way places of interest and history, if you ever get the chance to go inland, instead of sitting on the beach all day...not that there is anything wrong in that!!

Re: There is SO much more to Catalunya than sea, sand and sun!!

Amazing photos Sage.

I love looking at some of the older buildings especially the hermitages.

It's a helluva legacy they guys have left.

Good photos and great post

It certainly is a legacy, tiki-taka, and as inspiring as you wish it to be! Of course, there are touches of 'modern' hands here and there, neccessary to keep things in good condition.
There are two theories as to why they chose to build so high up. One was that they wished to be as near to their God as was possible; the other was to have the best view available of the surrounding area, so they would have ample warning if they were about to be attacked by forces who wished to control all forms of religion practised in Spain.

If anybody has a particular spot in the area around Salou that they would like to see featured in a 'video-spot' here on the Uncovered Forum, just post your request, and I will see what I can do for you.

excellent post Sage, not only the text but the pictures give a really good idea of what to expect and what can be achieved just a short drive inland. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Sage. Could you post some more specific directions to this particular hermitage as I'd like to take a drive up there. Thanks.

Certainly Andy.
Take the N340 from Salou to Cambrils.Turn right off the N340 direction Montbrio, which is a roundabout just past Cambrils. Pass Sama Park and continue to the next roundabout. Take the 3rd exit direction Mont Roig.Pass the first turning right into Montroig, and take the second turning right . Follow the road up towards the mountains. On the right after about 2 miles,you will see the track to the entrance to the Hermitage. (On the lefthand side is an entrance into a place called 'Ons Plek').
If you have 'Google Earth'..just type in 'Ermitage St Ramon Mont Roig del Camp', and you can see exactly where it is in relation to Salou.
If you choose to, you could also visit the other Hermitage (where I filmed the short video at the end of my post) which is called the 'Monasterio Escornalbou'
and is only about 15 minutes away. Well worth a visit too. Again, Google Earth is your friend!

Thanks for the directions, I have found both places and am looking forward to visiting them soon.