Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
happy hours ,where and what time please?

intend to have a weeks blow out on the beer ,where are the best offers ,2 for 1 ,happy hours please ,staying in the salauris palace so want easy crawling distance back ,thanks

Re: happy hours ,where and what time please?

OMG! WHAT have I done? Is this what Salou has become? A week of cheap drunken excessive behaviour for Brit Alkies?
Why not stay home, buy yourself some cheapo tinnies, or better still some methylated spirits from the local supermarket with the airfare you will save yourself, and get drunk in your OWN space, not Salou.
Is Salou that desperate that it will welcome with open arms this type of Tourist? No, don't bother answering that rhetorical question.I fear the answer would be yes And New Labour have caused it to happen!! Of course, Gordon will deny it, and that is why I will SOON be leading the Government in PERSON, rather than just in name as at the moment I just can't ABIDE Political Liars, can you? Any more than Political Correctness

dunno what all that is youve just typed??????????
i work 5 days a week in a building site ,a noisy dirty enviroment.i save up and go on holiday ,to swim and rest of a day and have a good drink in the night,and maybe see some entertainment,as i havnt got work in the morning ....whats wrong with that ?..does anyone else have any bars ,happy hour 2 for 1 etc ,without giving a lecture out,i am travelling with my wife ,not a gang of rowdy teenagers .thanks in advance.

Fair play to you!!!!!! I hate that kind of snobbery, there's no need, everyone goes on holiday for different reason and if yours is to have a few beers once a year when you work hard for the other 51 weeks then more power to you!!!!!

As for an answer to your question, we were there 2/3 weeks ago and I reckon you could probably spend an evening going from pub to pub for each happy hour - LOL
Best bet is to have a stroll along the main drag as there are plenty of folk giving out flyers for cheap drinks etc.

Hope you have a good holiday!!!!!!

thank you so much claire ,only joined the forum yday ,posted ,just got home from work to check my replies ,if any ,and was a little surprised at that outburst of waffle off the other poster ,only going for a relaxing break from work and a chill in the bars of an evening with my wife,work all year for it and cant wait. thanks again.

paularmo
dunno what all that is youve just typed??????????
i work 5 days a week in a building site ,a noisy dirty enviroment.i save up and go on holiday ,to swim and rest of a day and have a good drink in the night,and maybe see some entertainment,as i havnt got work in the morning ....whats wrong with that ?..does anyone else have any bars ,happy hour 2 for 1 etc ,without giving a lecture out,i am travelling with my wife ,not a gang of rowdy teenagers .thanks in advance.

You asked nicely what is wrong with that, so I will tell you.And nicely too.

Economics, and your idea of a good holiday simply don't mix. You want to spend the night drinking 'two for one'..that means you get 2 drinks for around 2 euros for local drinks..and that is all you will get at 2 for 1 bars. So, take out of that 2 euros half for the cost of the drink. That leaves 1 euro. Pay for the staff, the electricity, the LICENCES, the taxes AND a sustaining income for the Bar Owner from the OTHER euro..and what do you have left? Nothing. In fact negative equity this year. And then ( I don't know whether to laugh or cry here)..YOU WANT QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT AS WELL???????
SALOU CAN'T AFFORD this continued 'generosity' to the less well-off. Simple. You can't afford to come to Salou? SORRY. THAT IS NOT THE FAULT OF SALOU. At this rate, you won't have a Salou to come to.
Your idea of snobbery is laughable. In the sensible World, it is called ECONOMICS.
You say you work 5 days a week in a noisy, dusty environment, and save up to go on holiday and enjoy yourself. Good for you. I WHOLLY understand thst.Just let me tell you how EASY you have got it, my friend. In Salou, most work in a noisy dusty and EXCEPTIONALLY HOT evironment..often for 12 hours a day, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK, and probably earn a quarter of what you do for 6 months NON-STOP. And then barely have enough to get through the long winter until it starts all over again. And then you want us to cut our meagre incomes even further, to accomodate your wishes for a cheap holiday?
Yeah, right. Salou has cut to the BONE, and further, to try to provide a nice cheap holiday for the visitors. When we see people complaining about 'high prices', and wanting to spend their whole holiday drinking in cheapo Bars for next to nothing, we get a bit hot under the collar. And the GOOD Venues gradually get starved to death, and the cheapos steadily go bust much quicker.
So Claire, before you get all indignant and labelling people as 'snobbish', think before you start wittering on, try to understand WHAT is involved in even trying to keep the 'Brit' part of Salou alive, for the coming years.

I completely agree with what Lord Mandelson is saying. However, the current (global) economic situation is not the fault of the holiday maker. This site exists to promote Salou and encourage people to visit. Having a go at somebody when their intention is to do just that is not helping. So while I understand the issues LM raises, this particular thread is not the place to vent.

LM ,im sorry if wanting to come on holiday and enjoy myself is a problem in salou [to some],and i think that if i want to come to salou and spend my 800 pound over a week ,its better spent there than in another resort ,dont you think ?
i posted on here for some relevant drinking spots ,to hopefully help my beer kitty go a bit further ,MR ,you and your attitude will drive people away from salou ,surely in this present climate ,salou should be greatful of every euro coming into the area.i think il post on another forum as i certainly didnt post on here to have a lecture.and the lady who answred my original post ,has the right idea ,you go away to enjoy yourself ,and i intend to do that in the nice place that is salou.

WARNING!! LONG POST!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND

paularmo
LM ,im sorry if wanting to come on holiday and enjoy myself is a problem in salou [to some],and i think that if i want to come to salou and spend my 800 pound over a week ,its better spent there than in another resort ,dont you think ?
i posted on here for some relevant drinking spots ,to hopefully help my beer kitty go a bit further ,MR ,you and your attitude will drive people away from salou ,surely in this present climate ,salou should be greatful of every euro coming into the area.i think il post on another forum as i certainly didnt post on here to have a lecture.and the lady who answred my original post ,has the right idea ,you go away to enjoy yourself ,and i intend to do that in the nice place that is salou.

The lady who concurred with your myopic vision just happens to be another tourist, NOT somebody who has to try to make ends meet HERE in Salou.
I will reply with one salient point. If you fail to understand that as well, I will give up.
Your 800 pounds is, of course, very very welcome. However, the one point everybody (except Kay..and strangely enough, she is a Bar Owner, and understands) seems to be missing is this: if it costs Salou 801 euros to earn your 800, it is pointless. Profit margins are the lifeblood of any economy. Sure the suppliers of the '2 for 1' that the cheap Bars sell will make their profit, but the middleman (Bar/restaurant) will make nothing, because their profit margins are being cut from both ends. EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE BIG WIDE WORLD!!!
So, until Salou wakes up and realises they can no longer afford to sell everything for less than it costs them, Salou will die.
What would REALLY happen, if the 2 for 1 system was outlawed? If people had to pay REALISTIC prices for what they eat and drink? Fewer holidaymakers? If they don't provide enough income for the bars and restaurants from their 'spending money', their absence will not have any effect on Salou bars or restaurants at all. Ryanair will continue to make their profit, the food and drink suppliers will continue to make theirs, and the hotels etc will too. The only people to be squeezed out will be the British Bars and Restaurants. The very ones thst built Salou. The very ones that the British Tourists(AND many other Nationalities too) want to visit
Until the British business section of Salou can earn a clear 30% of everything that visitors spend, they will go bust. And 30% is not going to make anybody rich here. But it will allow us to continue to provide a holiday venue for the not-so-well-off.
Years ago, before the theme Park actually existed, everybody was convinced it would make them rich, just as the same people thought Ryanair would too. The opposite is happening in BOTH cases. Salou has enjoyed a 30% increase of visitors passing through Reus airport this year, we are led to believe...and yet Salou is worse off than ever.
Every business has its Loss leaders to tempt people to visit and buy. But when those Loss Leaders become the majority of the sales, (and some places actually ONLY sell those Loss leaders) a prudent business will stop selling them, or die.

Re: WARNING!! LONG POST!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND

LM, I think you misunderstood my response. I agree with everything you are saying. However, as previously stated, having a go at visitors and holidaymakers who use this site to ask not unreasonable questions is not the answer. By all means start a new thread for local residents and business people to comment on. Perhaps we all might come up with a solution. But please don't make potential tourists think we're not going to do our utmost to ensure that they have the best time that we can (profitably) give them.

Fair enough Kay. Fair comment. I just wanted to try to explain OUR position to the very people who want to come to Salou. I think I did that clearly enough, so I will let it go.
Paularmo. I sincerely hope you have a great holiday in Salou. Just spend SOME of your money where it will help Salou survive. And to be honest here, if you look around the bars at night, you will probably see the busiest are the ones who DON'T have to indulge in desperate '2 for 1' happy hours, because they are the ones with QUALITY fare and service.

Everyone has a different way of promoting their bar.It could be the children eat free or children eat for a 1 Euro promotion.Then you also have the businesses which give a free drink with a breakfast,which by the way starts at 3 Euros 25 with a couple of free newspapers thrown in.The other day I came across a flier for a non happy hour bar which said,Buy a drink and get an identical drink free when you hand in this leaflet at the bar.Another is giving out free shots or the first round free.So the moral of the story is SIMPLE ECONOMICS, know your costs.

LOCAL
Everyone has a different way of promoting their bar.It could be the children eat free or children eat for a 1 Euro promotion.Then you also have the businesses which give a free drink with a breakfast,which by the way starts at 3 Euros 25 with a couple of free newspapers thrown in.The other day I came across a flier for a non happy hour bar which said,Buy a drink and get an identical drink free when you hand in this leaflet at the bar.Another is giving out free shots or the first round free.So the moral of the story is SIMPLE ECONOMICS, know your costs.

Unbelievable.. I see 'free' six times at least in your post. NOTHING IS FREE IN THIS WORLD...EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE. The problem is, WHO gets to pay for the 'free'? At the moment, it appears to be businesses who simply can't afford to give 'FREE' things away. And then Salou Businesses moan because it APPEARS THE MAJORITY of people who come to Salou don't have any money to spend.Why? Because all they ever look for, and see, is FREE FREE FREE
FREEEEEEEEEE.....
You know what? If you went fishing for Salmon using a a leger and a worm as bait, you would't be very surprised if you caught an eel, would you? And you would, of course, understand why all the best fishermen around just smiled or laughed..
Unless you know absolutely nothing about fishing, of course
If you advertise every other word as'free'..what do you expect to get on the whole as customers? Yep..people who want something for near enough 'free'.
Simple Economics? drop the 'economics', and you are nearer the truth.

LM ,i will enjoy my break ,an i can briefly understand the point your trying to get to me ,but i agree with kay fully,the tourist isnt the one who should be getting lectured ,they the ones keeping salou going,but i do take your point.

Well,that lot is really going to pull them in,isn't it? DON'T TAKE YOUR FRUSTRATIONS OUT ON THE CUSTOMERS.IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THAT THEY HAVE BEEN LANDED IN IT BY THEIR AWFUL GOVERNMENT! Everyone is welcome,there are some good deals around in the area because the local bar/restaurant owners have really tried to compete for every last Euro.
I hope that the poster has a superb holiday,this is really a great place and you will be made welcome.Shop around and keep away from the bars on the sea front where you will be well screwed. Get into the Brit bars in the back streets for bargains.
Get a bus to the Esmeralda in Vilafortuny for a cheap night out and British pub style entertainment.Generally starts about 9-00 pm.Have a great time mate.

i am not a number,thank you for your informative post ,where is Esmeralda in Vilafortuny,how far from salou ,how do i get tere please,i will pop down for a night ,thanks again

paularmo
i am not a number,thank you for your informative post ,where is Esmeralda in Vilafortuny,how far from salou ,how do i get tere please,i will pop down for a night ,thanks again

Paularmo:
Just to show there are no hard feelings, I'll pick you and the Mrs. up whenever you want, and stand you a nice meal at the best wee restaurant in the area. Deal? (No, I don't own/rent/work in the restaurant
)

Dear Lord... you should be in bed after the op!

is it two for one for the meal ?only messing LM,appreciate your offer ,but were ok thanks ,no hard feelings ,i took all your points onboard.

Nice guy
Hope you have a GREAT time!

Paularmo.The Esmeralda is midway between Salou and Cambrils,on the coast road.It's about 2 miles south of Salou.Get a bus on the prom going to Cambrils and after about 10 minutes ,get off at the Shell filling station--the only one on the coast road--and the Essie is 100 yards past the filling station. Johnny Scott,one of their entertainers,if he is reading this,could tell you the best night to go.
You have many friends in Salou,so enjoy!

thank you ,i am not a number ,i will defo spend a night there ,thanks again

Paularmo.Apparanly,the best nights at the Esmeralda are Thursday and Sunday. There are all night buses to go back to your digs! Enjoy!!

There are lots of places in town with great offers ,just look around when you get here.

i am not a number ,thanks for info ,sunday sounds good to me ,do you know if theres any entertainment on sunday there please.thanks

Paularmo.There is entertainment on Sundays. Johnny Scott does a tribute show,either glam rock or Buddy Holly or Roy Orbison.Not sure which. He is good though!

I am not a number
Paularmo.There is entertainment on Sundays. Johnny Scott does a tribute show,either glam rock or Buddy Holly or Roy Orbison.Not sure which. He is good though!

Johnny is the BEST!! He does his 'Glam-Rock' Show on Sunday evenings, after he has done his 'Johnny Scott' bit first!EXCELLENT guitarist, GREAT vocals, stage presence and humour. 3 hours of pure professionalism.Such a rarity these days .See you next Tuesday Johnny

I feel a sharp reply coming on

I enjoyed Kiss, in the centre of Salou, which if sat outside were charging 4 euros for 2 pints but my son and his girlfriend sat inside and got charged 7 euros each for cocktails. Robin Hood was charging less than 2 euros for a pint I think.
Enjoy!

Finn McCool
I feel a sharp reply coming on

No chance on that with Big Brother's (the George Orwell one!!) censure-ship killing any opinion that is not previously approved. I thought these tactics died with the Soviet Union. How wrong can one be!

lord mandleson get a grip you rip into paulermo for asking a simple question and then end up offering to pick him up and take him for a meal (route 66 ?).Just awnswer his question nextime.

GET A LIFE AND END THIS THREAD,THIS SITE USED TO BE ABOUT PROMOTING SALOU BUT INSTEAD IT IS TURNING IN TO OK MAGAZINE