Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
travel

HI I WANTING TO KNOW IF ANY BODY IS DRIVING TO SPAIN IN SEPTEMBER AS I,AM WANTING TO DRIVE MY SELF AND FAMILY ,FOR THE FIRST TIME AND WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW SOMEBODY AS,I,AM UNSURE OF THE WAY THERE AS IT IS MY FIRST TIME.

Re: travel

I would advise you to invest in a road atlas or a satnav system. Following somebody else all the way from the UK (I assume that is where you are from) to Salou would be quite dangerous. Basically, get yourself onto the E15 (this becomes the AP7 when you cross the border into Spain) once you're off the ferry in Calais and don't come of it until you get to the turn off for Salou.

Kay is quite correct. The amount of stops and stsrts for tolls, petrol, toilet, food, drink, etc. makes a two car convoy somewhat hazardrous especially with someone you do not know. I guarantee you that you will lose each other rather than get lost by taking a wrong turn.
European Satnavs are now less than £100. Failing that get a European Atlas, look for the E15/AP7, make a note of all major towns from Calais to Salou and tick them off as you go through/past them on the motorway. Use a credit card for the tolls. It is much quicker and more convenient than cash. Whatever you use, if you are in a UK right hand drive vehicle your front seat passenger will have to do the 'honours' to pay the toll machine as they are geared up for LHD motors

The AV Kid
Kay is quite correct. The amount of stops and stsrts for tolls, petrol, toilet, food, drink, etc. makes a two car convoy somewhat hazardrous especially with someone you do not know. I guarantee you that you will lose each other rather than get lost by taking a wrong turn.
European Satnavs are now less than £100. Failing that get a European Atlas, look for the E15/AP7, make a note of all major towns from Calais to Salou and tick them off as you go through/past them on the motorway. Use a credit card for the tolls. It is much quicker and more convenient than cash. Whatever you use, if you are in a UK right hand drive vehicle your front seat passenger will have to do the 'honours' to pay the toll machine as they are geared up for LHD motors

You can go through the 'Manual' tollbooth, and you can reach across through the passenger window, if you need to...the attendants have very long arms!! Hahaha!!
PLEASE NOTE!!!!:::::: French Tolls do NOT ACCEPT VISA ELECTRON, and probably other debit cards!!Spanish ones will, I believe.
You can pick up a TomTom satnav on eBay for a few quid nowadays..just make sure it has the full Europe maps loaded first!!
I am sure it will save you as much as it costs you on your journey. Stress levels AND cashwise!!
EDIT TO ADD: Depending upon where you set off from in the UK, I would recommend using the Newhaven-Dieppe route. A lot quicker than Dover-Calais, so I found anyway!

What about Plymouth/Portsmouth to Santander. Miss out France all together - now theres a bonus!
Must be a catch ... and there is. Whilst you will save on tolls & petrol through France the ferry is quite expensive. You might just get a deal though if it is after August and you book now.... check out www.brittany-ferries.co.uk

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.