Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salou in September - advice needed

Hi guys.

I've been lurking in the wings viewing the great advice on here for about 6 months now so better introduce myself.

I'm Billy and in Late September, myself and family are off to Sunny Salou !!! Yay !

Our party consists of

3 Adults (ages 34,37,23)
1 Senior (63)
1 Child (5)
1 Infant (1)

I'm looking for abit of advice on pricing.

Specifically travel !!

What is the best (cheapest) option for getting from either Barcelona or Reus airports direct to Salou.??

We still don't know which airport we will be using as we are getting last minute flights to save cash.

Also, I know Salou is close to Portaventura - but how much does it cost to get their exactly ?

Also - Do salou have 6 seater taxis and are they extra ?

Lastly - Is there anywhere that rents out buggys/strollers and travel cots ?

Oh - and is anyone going to Salou between now and September, as i would like to know if you would like to save money on Theme park tickets. I was thinking that perhaps if anyone was buying the 14 day MAX pass, then i would be more than happy to buy them off you on your return as long as there were a few days use left on them ? We are only planning on 2 days in Portaventura and the prices seem quite high for our group. The more we save on the transport/tickets etc - the more we have to spend in the area on shopping and gifts etc.

Long post, and probably missed loads but i'm excited just writing this !!

See you soon Salou !!

Re: Salou in September - advice needed

What is the best (cheapest) option for getting from either Barcelona or Reus airports direct to Salou.??

By train direct into barcelona is by far the fastest and cheapest way around 15 euro return but this option you have to sort out every thing yourself , Camp Nou etc. Other wise the planas trips are around 29 euro each which includes the stadium and time in barcelona. These can be got on on any of the main streets

We still don't know which airport we will be using as we are getting last minute flights to save cash.

Ryan air is so cheap at times they do some great deals depending on where you live to commute to that airport. ( Liverpool , Luton and a few others i think.

Also, I know Salou is close to Portaventura - but how much does it cost to get their exactly ?

Around 23 euros per person but there are loads of pay for one day and get another free offers around.

Also - Do salou have 6 seater taxis and are they extra ?

I beleive so and i think this will cost around 30 euro each way.

Lastly - Is there anywhere that rents out buggys/strollers and travel cots ?

Yes i saw buggys at 6 euros per day for rent and cots similar.

I would give you some advice as i have a 1 year old and we came back monday. My one year old had a great time but had to be watched extra because of the tiled floors.

The beach is stunning and the people / bar owners are great you will have a great time.

ohh and check out the great Gold card available at the connect in it will save your group a small fortune and they let you use the internet for free unlike anywhere else

Thanks Strange - lots of great info there.

Seeing as you had a 1 year old - are they free travel on the transport system over their ?

We are from Kirkcaldy and will be flying from either Glasgow or Edinburgh. Edinburgh is our closest airport.

Don't suppose you got the 14 day ortaventura pass did you strange ?

billy get your 7/14 day ticket from thomas cook around &54 to &58 pound get value and with these tickets u get discount at the water park.the buses in salou are dirt cheap aswell.where are you staying in salou if staying in cap salou i would not fly from barca as its quite far from train station.

Thanks Michael.

Not sure where we are staying as going to get an apartment a couple of weeks before we go and try get a special offer or discount. We are extremely budget orientated !!

Glad the buses are cheap as that will probably be our main getabout.

Anyone know any info on the cot hire and buggy hire ?

Set our date as 22nd of Spetember and going to hopefully get flights from around £110 pp and looking to get a 6 person apartment from about €250 for the week.

I've seen tickets for PA from as low as €48 adult €25 child/senior. But obviously this cost could be lower if shared between us and anyone who is going between now and September.

I see you get 50% off entry to Caribe waterpark with your PA tickets - what is the price of the waterpark and is it better than the waterpark in La Pineda ?

Hi Billy,

Another one from Kirkcaldy here.Were off this Monday to Salou

PA tickets...We purchased ours from ticketmaster,£48

Hi Jim - small world !!

Its a pity we didn't meet on here earlier - that way you could have bought the 14 day pass £57 i think - and i would have given you £25-30 per ticket when you returned for them !!! As long as they had a few days left.

Oh well C'est La Vie.

Hope you have a great time Jim - would be nice if you could come back and share your thoughts etc.

Are you doing a package deal, how many of you are going etc

You arent allowed to share PA passes, also they run for 3, 7 or 14 days from when they are first used, so someone using them next week wouldnt be able to pass them on for you to use in September.

the 14 day pass is for use throughout the season.

The Caribe waterpark closes this year mid September so you might miss it.

If possible try to fly to Reus, it's much cheaper and easier to transfer from there than Barcelona. The travel section on this site gives good info about transfers.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to bring your own buggy and then you'll have it at the airport and €6 a day will soon add up if you hire. I wonder how much it would be to buy a simple buggy in Spain???

It certainly is a small world Billy.I`m not sure what PA pass my wife bought Billy but suspect its the 7 dayer.As you say just a pity we didn`t meet earlier

As its my first time in Salou were certainly looking forward to it Billy,somewhere new......Also with Barcelona not too far away,opportunity to take my son to the Nou Camp then the wife can have her time shopping,Las Ramblas etc

Theres 3 of us going Billy and yes its a package booked on the internet with Thomas Cook

Will certainly make a point of coming back on here on our return to let you know how we got on

Yeh buying a cheap stroller/buggy in Salou is a great idea - are there any shops taht may have one. That would be great info !!

Would be a shame to miss the waterparks but hey ho !!

That would be great if you could come back Jim, be nice to see how your family got on and maybe give us a few tips. We looked into package, but as theirs a few of us then it is much cheaper getting an apartment and flights ourselves rather than pay the middlemen so to speak.

Check with the wife Jim - maybe its the 14 day - would be a good moneyspinner if it was.

Have a great stay and hope the weather stays smashing for you !

hi billyp we're from glenrothes and we're going 11th-22nd september. we have been going to salou for the last five years and do make the most of pa,sometimes twice a day. the waterparks close on the 13th so we will just make it.we did a package deal with first choice and through ramsay travel,who sometimes get you a good deal. it is easier going to reus and they did bring out flights from edinburgh, but this time we go from glasgow.maybe look into direct holidays or if you get a price in mind see if ramsay can match or beat it good luck !

Val - are you buying the PA tickets ? Could do a deal with you. If you buy the 14 day pass, i would buy any tickets off you at a good price on your return as long as there was a few days entry left on the tickets

hi we've already got them and will use them at least twice a day. we got them off attraction tickets and they were cheaper

what ever happened to splashing out on holiday sorry but billy p sounds like a cheap skate

Well, thats a bit of a silly view. I will be splashing out - relevant to the budget i have.

It's all relative - i may be spending more on my holiday - relative to my income than a millionaire would spend on his holidays - relative to his income.

Does that make me more frivolous than a millionaire ?

What a silly post to have made

well soon to be in salou you never look for value.
what the point in paying £2000 when you can probely get the same for £1000.the guy as a budget so what everyone as a budget im sure even bill gates as budgets.maybe your 1 of these plastic people with 5 or 6 cards and are £30,000 in dept more tO the fact get a life

BillyP
Well, thats a bit of a silly view. I will be splashing out - relevant to the budget i have.

It's all relative - i may be spending more on my holiday - relative to my income than a millionaire would spend on his holidays - relative to his income.

Does that make me more frivolous than a millionaire ?

What a silly post to have made

Good for you Billy.
Don't let some muppet discourage you from asking any relevent questions reguarding your up and coming holiday .
I'm taking my muppet splatter with me this year ,you can smell them

Does anyone know of anywhere where you can store your luggage for the day ? Just incase we have late flights leaving in the evening but are checking out at 10am ??

And thanks for the support guys lol

hi billy if you check out the ryanair web sit there are not many flights going to reus from prestwick on your dates,so it looks like your option is Barcelona,i go to salou quite often,i am also going on the 22nd sept.there are plenty of free flights from liverpool on your dates but it is a long trip to get there.there are also some very good deals on all inclusive hotels check out alpharooms.com i use them all the time and find them very good.hope this helps

I'm pretty sure that most places have a room available to store cases and such like if you're on a late one, we've stayed at Golden Port, Europa Park, Catalunya Apts and Calypso and they've all had luggage rooms - so I'm sure you'll be OK with that

Also, don't know if you are aware, but I'm pretty sure most if not all airlines will carry a baby buggy on board for free when you are travelling with an infant and I'm pretty sure most apartments and hotels will be able to arrange a cot for you, as for taxi transfers, we used Rob at Touchdown Tours - he has a link on the main website I think - and they have people carrier type taxi's - its excellent service.

If you feel brave enough the local buses from Reus into Salou are a really good value option - they are waiting outside the arrivals and you tell the guy what hotel you are at and they drop you off at it and take your return flight details and tell you what time they will pick you up for your return flight home - a really good budget option, but could be a bit of a pain with a baby, though (due to circumstance beyond our control) we ended up getting a bus from Salou to Barcelona airport last year when our little 'un was 5 months old and it wasn't too bad.......

michael ulman thinks its you who needs to get a life plastic with 30,000 ???? whats that all about I was just making a point that its a holiday splash out and in my opinion trying to share port aventura passes with a stranger is a liitle bit to much plus you are not permitted to share them

I got 14 day passes for porta aventura in september 2003, If i remember rightly it said on the ticket the 14 days started the first day you used them and they had to be used within the 14 days,( i went three times ) Bye the way i am in cowdenbeath if you want to get intouch, ( tis a small world ) hello santy.

frankinfife
I got 14 day passes for porta aventura in september 2003, If i remember rightly it said on the ticket the 14 days started the first day you used them and they had to be used within the 14 days,( i went three times )

Thats correct Frank so Billy you`ve had it

Billy,will post once I come back and let you know how I got on

Well it was worth a try !!

We will only be going probably twice out of the week we are there so will get a 4-day pass.

Having some great info about Salou on here about what some people think may be trivial things, but very important to us !!

Will look into if we get the stroller/pram onto the flight for free as that would be good news.

Hope you have a great time Jim and look forward to even more info on your return about the best places etc and hopefully some bus/train prices etc around the area. Day out in Barcelona is a definate.

By the looks of it we may get an aprtment at apartment ventura as they seem good value and usually have late deals too.

Any more info much appreciated about any of the questions i had above.

By the way. I have seen Portaventura 14 day max passes on ebay and it has "NON-CONSECUTIVE" printed on them and does say they expire at the end of 2009.

Thats the reason i am looking into it. Seems to be a grey area !

Hi Billy,

We've been on about 10 different airlines with our 2 ankle biters over the last 8 years and have yet to find one that doesn't allow you to take a buggy on for free, we've flown with Ryanair, Thomsonfly, Airtours etc and all have carried the buggy for free, which personally I think is only fair as they charge about £30 to take an infant yet they get no luggage, no seat or anything so I think it's the least they can do - LOL

hi billyp we are just back from sunny salou.all appartments we stayed in have a room for your bags,ryanair are selling pa tickets on their flights 2 days is 44euro and 7 is 60euro.if you ask at the start of your hols the app might let you stay in your room longer.we got the gold cards (18euro each)and found them well worth the moneyas you get discount in a lot of places.touch down tours do a mini bus from reus to where your staying for 47euro each way and have child seats.
hope some of this is helpful

also met a lady called margaret who has an apartement to rent beside jimmys bar i think she said 250euro for 1 week in august her email is apartmentsalou@hotmail.com might be cheaper in sept i dont know if there is a pool and i think i sleeps 6 i do know you would have a tv

Hi Billy,
I was over there in May and there was a place on the main roundabout that hired buggys Not sure how much. Place called Bell Tavern. As for hiring cots most apartments will supply a cot in room if you ask only few actually charge for them. I think Ryanair would be your cheapest way of flying to Salou it cuts out all the extra charges on Train fair and if you are travelling with a 1 yr old it flies right into reus which is only 15 mins drive. Rob from touchdown tours has a 9 seater he did us a great deal even had child seats. Try roomsnet.com for apartment I found them the cheapest. Hope you have a great time, we did.

Hi Billyp

Got back on Monday and as the previous posters said there is a place on the main roundabout across from Tourist Information called the Bell Inn/Tavern that hired buggys,not sure how much.

If you have any questions on Salou fire away and I`ll try and answer them

We stayed in the Sol Costa Daurada,great hotel,location,food was excellent.On checking in was told we were full board(we had only paid half board)so a bonus right away.Drink prices in the hotel in the hotel were expensive.Jack Daniels and coke 8-50euros,a breezer 4 euros...Suffice to say that was the last drink bought in the hotel.Found the prices in town for drinks quite varying..Went to the Bell Inn/Tavern,a pint of Guiness(not draught,think it was a tin poured into a pint tumbler)a bottle of San Mig,6 euros.Two doors along at the Grape-Vine it was 2-25euros for a pint of San Mig.Needless to say it saw a lot of our custom

As I said,any questions fire away

Nice to see you had a good time Jim !! Back to sunny Scotland already lol.

Did you travel on any of the local transport or taxis ? Were prices the same as youd expect here ?

Also, did you go anywhere interestng away from Salou ?

BillyP
Nice to see you had a good time Jim !! Back to sunny Scotland already lol.

Did you travel on any of the local transport or taxis ? Were prices the same as youd expect here ?

Also, did you go anywhere interestng away from Salou ?

Aye Billy back to sunny Scotland right enough

We had great weather in Salou

Only used the taxis on a couple of occassions Billy to get from our hotel to the beach area,cost was around 5-50 euros for what would be a 10/15 min walk for an able bodied person..

Our hotel provided a courtesy bus to Port Aventura but did use the local bus(which there are plenty) from Port Aventura back to the centre.Again approx 5-50 euros for 3 adults.There was a wee puff,puff train type thingy that picks up from numerous points in Salou and tours all over Salou,beach,theme park etc but never got round to using it but believe its fairly cheap and you can hop on and off as you like.Never used the train at all.

Went to Barcelona for the Nou Camp tour then we had 2 and a half hour free time in the City Centre.Left at 11-00am back around 8-00pm.Well organised with tour guide on the coach who was very good.She even organised a 3 course lunch in Barcelona which was optional but was perfect as it saves you time looking for somewhere decent and eateries tend to be busy and notoriously slow where the organised lunch was ready on arrival and gave us more time to do what we wanted to do.. Excellent day out.Used the Plana bus tour company and booked it at our hotel reception but they have places dotted around Salou where you can book..29-50euros per adult and that includes the Nou Camp stadium tour and museum

One word of warning,watch what your drinking prior to going or when your in Barcelona,no toilets on the buses,no stops and its approx 1 and half hours there and back in the bus

We went to Port Adventura 3 days..On the Tuesday it was dead and virtually walked straight onto the rides but Thursday and Friday were much busier..Had something to eat at the parks and a few beers.Have the prices but not a hand so will post them later.

First time in Salou and although I enjoyed it not sure if I would rush back

Anything else Billy

Brilliant info Jim - thanks very much #!!

Did you happen to notice if there were 6 seater taxis ?

BillyP
Brilliant info Jim - thanks very much #!!

Did you happen to notice if there were 6 seater taxis ?

Never noticed BillyP,sorry but I do remember 6 females getting a taxi to head into town from our hotel and they had 2 taxis,3 in each

Prices in one of the theme park Restaurant next to the Stampida ride where we ate

Chicken Nuggs+chips=7-00 euros
Large Portion of Chips=2-20 euros

Huge hot dog(baguette)+chips=5-50 euros
Large Coke=2-95 euros
Large beer in souvenir glass(like a yard of ale glass=4-20 euros

The food was very good and fairly big portions

If you like to keep up to speed with the news back home papers like the Record,the Sun etc were 2-20 euros