Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beer & Lager Prices

Just a quickie where the best deal for beer prices are there still places selling at 1.50 euro or around 2 euro's.. 3 euros a beer used to be just for the english lagers is it still the same?

Re: Beer & Lager Prices

The prices are more or less the same, some places lowered their prices a bit compared to last year. Local beer is about 2 Euros a pint.

Just to point out.IMO,local lager is misnamed. Mahou,for example,is the biggest brewery in Spain and the third biggest in Europe.Mahou are also the owners of San Miguel,known and loved by most Brits. Damm (Estrella)is a Catalan brewery and is sold in many other areas of Spain! Both can hardly be classed as 'local'. Local gives the impression that someone is brewing it in a bath tub!
Also they are stronger than British beers,Mahou Classica is 4.8% and Mahou Five star a whopping 5.5%!
More value for money! Cheers! They always taste better in the sunshine!

local lager is priced at 1.50 in cheaper bars up to 2.50 a pint in the big bars with shows etc ,loads of food offers around as well.

that's naughty. I mean't local as brewed in spain and not in england.

Sorry Boro Lad,I didn'mean it like that. Incidentally,what is England's local brew?
Enjoy your holiday!This is a great place.

Carling or John Smiths perhaps.. Cant wait to get my laughing gear round a nice cold glass of Mahou in the sunshine..

27 Days to go!

The price of a pint arose in conversation with Chris (Shankly's Bar owner) back in March when we were over there. He came up with a great statement. Basically he and most bars haven't put their prices up much (if at all) over the past two seasons. It's the performance of sterling lately that makes us Brits think it's got pricey for the falling over water! If a pint of Mahou or San Miguel cost us 2 euro a while back, that worked out at maybe £1.45 (a bargain in anyone's eyes!!!!). However, this season, a 2 euro pint of the local hooch lightens my pocket by 2 quid. A relative increase of 55p a slug.

Does anyone think we might have been better going into the Eurozone when we had a chance (and when the Euro was about 50p)??? Still, whatever the price of a snifter, we're going back....and soon. IT'S SALOU innit!

carlings canadian

Was just a guess, never knew Carling was Canadian.. ?? I guess Ill just stick to Newcy Brown. I know where that comes from.

Thomas carling was English, he moved to canada.

The history of Carling dates back to 1818 when Thomas Carling, a farmer in the English county of Yorkshire, took his family to the rich farmlands of eastern Canada, settling at what is now the city of London, Ontario. During his first year there Tom Carling cleared a small area. Then, in accordance with the custom of the day, he called on his neighbours to help at a "stumping bee", a cooperative effort in which each man brought his own oxen and tools and the land was cleared of tree stumps. All that these helpful neighbours asked was that they be refreshed and fed. Thomas Carling's refreshment, a home-brewed ale, was of such quality that soon he was brewing it for other stumping bees. In time, it grew so popular that he abandoned farming for full-time brewing. The first Carling brewery was a modest affair - a couple of kettles, a horse to turn the grinding mill and six strong men to work on the mash tubs. Carling was his own sales and shipping department. He started by trundling his wares through the streets of London, Ontario, Canada on a wheelbarrow. This was the humble beginning of what was to become a worldwide brewing organization. Tom Carling established the brewing company that bears his name in London, Canada in 1840.

Hi Lost,
i didn't know the history of carling, as ever you have shown that you have done your homework,i don't know where you get it all from, you must spend hours researching the net or reading lots of books but i for one am thankful for your lessons, keep it up my friend