Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Language

Hola a todos!

Next year once i finish studying Travel and Tourism at College i am planning to go out to Salou and try to get a job and just experience living and working in Spain for the summer at least. I have a reasonably good level of speaking Spanish having taken evening classes for almost 2 years, and hopefully by the Summer of 2010, it will improve even more.

My QUESTION..... is it going to be a problem with me not wanting to speak or learn Catalan? I am fully aware that Salou is in Catalunya and i like visiting this region in Spain, and i really don't mean to sound ignorant in anyway but i feel Spanish language is going to benefit me more in life so i really only have an interest in that.
Is this going to have an effect on my ability to ''fit in'' with the local people? I repeat that i am not looking to go there and speak English all the time lol i do speak Spanish so i am hoping that it will be no problem!

Any comments/input would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Re: Language

having lived in spain for over 15 years and only speeking pidgen castiano i find that the catalans i speak to accept the fact that i am a girri so will tollerate it if i cant speak catalan (or very good spanish) as a forigner we are generaly accepted if you try they understand so unless you profess to be a language expert dont worry.

Re: Language

I totally agree with Rick, in general locals like people who have made the effort to learn Spanish and are do not expect you to speak Catalan...I'm married to a Catalan and have never had any problems!