Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
And so it begins again..

Some bars and restaurants have remained open during the Winter. They are already primed and ready to go.
Now doors are being opened to reveal silent chairs, stools and dusty worktops, on places that were closed up for the winter so long ago. and yet that time passes so quickly, and the lifeblood has started to course through their veins. Shutters are lifted, and the warm sunlight floods the rooms,breathing life and activity and muted anticipation of happy, smiling visitors once more. The cycle never ends, and although the desire to make enough money to get through the NEXT close season is paramount, there is also the prospect of providing an entertaining and unforgettable holiday for visitors old and new...the prospect of a job well done.
Nowadays, the excitement has been dampened by an inate and troublesome trepidation that hard times are ahead. But that can never dampen the spirit that is Salou completely, and although the confidence has been undermined by things beyond their control, the indominable spirit still lives on.
Soon, the streets will be alive once more, with people looking for 'bargains' and presents to take back home. Souvenirs of their stay in Salou. Young famiies, with children who have never before been in an aeroplane, or left the shores of their Homeland before, seeming to take it all in their stride with so much acceptance of the way we can move around our World..as if they assume it was always that way.
Sitting on a sandy beach, sifting the golden powder between their fingers. Building sandcastles. Splashing joyously in the gentle waves lapping the warm sand along the mediterranean coastline that has tempted millions before to do exactly the same. Relax.Recharge the batteries of life that have been drained by dark, rainy skies and cold winds.
Suffering, with a sense of achievement, the stinging and often painful results of too long being exposed to the smiling Mediterranean sun. A suntan!! healthy looking faces, with eyes that look so bright and clear in the healthy tone of sun-kissed skin. Teeth that seem to have become so white and shiny, in contrast to the usual pale complexions.
Meanwhile, happy and expectant workers have picked up brushes and dusters, and started to sweep away the dust and grime of winter. Kitchens being scrubbed to spotless, shiny surfaces, proud to once again be prepared to provide the best they can in the way of tasty meals, refreshing drinks, and a happy atmosphere.
Although it might appear to be an idylic lifestyle, to work for 6 months, and then have 6 months off, the striations and strain of trying to make it through the close season takes its toll...but the smiles are back once again, now the prospect of being able to earn once more, enough to get through the coming year.
The delivery drivers, smiling and shaking hands with their customers, whom they haven't seen for so long, happy to be back on the road, doing their work.
It is a special kind of person who continues to live this life year after year, and it is far from easy for most.
So, dear Tourists, when you arrive in our Town, and look around you at this place which is known as Salou, and see the people going about their business to make your stay as happy as can be, reflect a little on what goes on here, whilst you are back in the UK during the Winter. It might seem idylic, but the veneer of 'normality' that is apparent everywhere, hides the same kind of worries and concerns that you have too...we are no different. Just that we are hooked on the Way of Life. And mostly do our very best to make you welcome.
Enjoy your holidays, have fun, and please, respect out Town. That way, we can concentrate on doing even better for you.

Re: And so it begins again..

Here, Here Snr Sage! Moralle Boosting wise words to invigorate customers and workers alike.

Sun' out, Shorts on, Surf's Up, bikini lines waxed!....I feel like a Holiday!

Viva Salou and thankyouverymuch!

Rob
AKA my new Elvis nickname Sage... The Costa Dorada King!!!!

I THANKYOOO!

Worth the read, thankyou Sage I feel a bit better now

Joan

Nick,

As they say in Glasgow 'yer a blether'.....but it all comes from the heart and I can think of no better ambassador for Salou,and of course you are 100 percent right!!!!!Salou will be up and running soon so get yourselves over people....you deserve a good holiday in these difficult times. Nick ,Diane is back from Andorra and NIkki returns soon ...they are looking forwrd to seeing their favourite entertainer,so look in and see us. Donny

I'll look forward to seeing you all again, Donny! feeling quite sad that I shall be missing the wonderful atmosphere from last season, when I met so many kind visitors, and had such a pleasant task trying to entertain one and all in 'Scotch Corner'.!! Now..I'll stop me 'blether', and just say thanks, and see you soon!

"sniff, sniff", i was almost wiping away a tear there nick,well said old friend.
you summed things up perfectly
not long now, and i'll be back (not quite next tuesday, but sooooonnnnn), about thirty days, and counting!!!!!!!!!!!
all the best
johnny

Well, with the economic situation still iffy here in the UK, me & Mrs Jacko have come up with a cunning plan. Rather than a curry & beery night out in Rugby each Saturday, we self-cater at Castle Jacko for a few weekends instead, trouser the cash we've saved, then BINGO....we've got enough for another short jaunt to Salou! The Chancellor's loss is Salou's gain. Nothing better than escaping recession with a few days in the sun. Numbers out there might not drop as deeply as we all fear. Haven't been to Salou since about 1971, came over in late March this year,now we're booked for early June! Twice already, and it may not end there! Rugby town centre has had its day anyway.....we'd much rather invest the hard earned cash in the sun! See y'all soon

sage are you the heart and soul of salou? what line of work are you in my friend? the advice you gave me over past few days about moving out there tells me you have been out there a long time

Drop me an email, Craig, and I will bore you to death with my banality!!
Hahaha!!
nickcann@terra.es