General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jesus and the poor

That statement you quoted is Jesus response to Judas' worrying about the oil that Mary (sister of Lazarus) anointed his feet with, saying it should be sold to help the poor. At that time, so close to his leaving, Jesus probably meant that the apostles should make the most of the time they still had with him, and worry about the poor later. See p 1879.

At Jotapata, p 1639 you have the statement about not closing one's ears to the cry of the poor, which is a quote from the Old Test., I think.

P. 1594, Jesus began his work among the poor, as they were not included by the other religions, concerned mostly with rich donors.

P 1661 is also interesting as Jesus there lays out the purpose of affliction.

Finally, The Social Problems of Religion paper, p.1087 is a must read in my opinion.

Remember when Ganid got all upset when Jesus would not bother to talk to a man, and was told that it was pointless as the man had no thought adjuster.

But as for your question, I think 'poor' means those who, through circumstances beyond their control, have found themselves without means. Anyone else he usually urged to get a grip and get to work or do something.

Otherwise, the 'poor in spirit' are mentioned just so.
A very different kettle of fish.