Salou Uncovered Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Permanent work in Salou?

Hi,Iam in a similar position myself, I work as a carer (dementia care) and would love to live and work in Salou,iam heading over at the end of March, Salou fest is on so there should be plenty of work available. As for permanant work that would be hard to find in the current economic climate. I would love to set up a business in Salou home help, carers, etc.Go on facebook and friend some of the bars and cafes etc, many of them are opening at the end of March for the Saloufest week, and then it's easter so you should be able to get work from March till end of October at least.Good luck.

Can either of you speak Spanish fluently?
I hate to burst your bubbles, or at least appear to be doing so.....but the chances of finding permanent, or even temporary positions over here are minimal, to say the least, especially if you can't speak Spanish fluently.
Secondly, if you are hoping to find anything of a professional nature, you WILL have to be able to speak and write Catalan fluently...and even then, you will be at the back of a very long queue of Catalans looking for work.
Seriously,if you think Salou is a better option than what you have now, you are more than likely to be totally wrong, and unless you can come over with a substantial amount of money to sustain yourself for at least a year, you will end up in a very difficult situation, especially if you don't have an escape route in hand to go back home.
The current unemployment situation in the Tarragona area is well about the national average, and the true figure is probably around 45%.
PLEASE think long and hard, before burning any bridges you might have right now.
Honestly just trying to forewarn you, not put you off your dream. Just be PREPARED.
Salou today, is a vastly different kettle of fish, compared to 8 years ago...

Hi Nick,
I appreciate your comment, i do understand what you are saying and many others have said it also.
I dont speak spanish no thats why i was planning on doing bar work again, i want to leave the Care profession completely.
I know most bars are seasonal but i intended on moving onto winter work if need be.
I will keep trying though and thanks again..

Hi Diana,
Have you had any luck yourself? Look me up on facebook if you want to chat michelle5doc@hotmail.com.

Hi michelle nick is correct winter work really just doesnt exist but if you are a good worker it is easy to get a job in a bar or restaurant. Salou is desperate for good workers as most the local expat workforce are lazy drunks, not all but the majority so good luck.

Just do the maths. Average wage for a Bar Worker is 1000 euros a month for, hopefully, 6 months. Tips might add another 400 euros a month, but not likely this year.You need a full 6 month paid up contract to get Social Security for the winter assistance,although that was reduced to 4 months, I think..don't know if it still applies... which is around 400 euros per month., and very few Bars will be open for 6 months, let alone giving a full contract. So that means you will have to pay the difference in SS payments yourself.
Even sharing an apartment, the rent can still take almost half your monthly salary, and then the winter still has to be paid for, unless you go back home.
So, a summer job will pay you 1400 euros a month for 6 (hopefully) months, a total of 8,400 euros. Subsidio adds a further 6x400 euros...2,400 for the winter.10,800 euros total for a year. An apartment will cost an average of 12x 600 euros. That is 7,200 euros a year. That leaves you 3,600 euros a year for food, clothes, heating, electricity etc etc.. never mind 'entertainment' costs. If you smoke 1 packet of cigarettes a day, that is nearly 1,400 euros a year.
Drink socially? say 500 euros a year...that is nearly 2000 euros of your 3,600 euros 'spending' money.
Transport costs? Medicine if you fall ill? If the apartment doesn't have central heating, you will need to use bottled gas for heating, and that costs over 15 euros a bottle, and doesn't last long, because the winters do get cold.
All this advice is freely given, and if you decide you can make it work here, then I wish you lots of success, and happiness here.
Hmmm...that is why I say Salou is NOT a good potential compared to what you have now, unless you are not working in the UK.

YOU FORGOT 200 EURO SUBSIDY FOR UNDER 30 YEAR OLDS LIVING IN APTS....GIVING THAT YOU QUALIFY

Hi Michelle, my neice and I are heading to Salou in 4 weeks time. If you contact Danny Boys, Olivers, Uncle Sams, Red Lion. Many of these are opening for Salou Fest this year and it's easter after that, many of them stay open till the end of October,so that would give you 6 months plus, of work, and some may offer a contract.My neice will be staying over there to work, she is hoping to get a job in childcare at one of the hotels. If you wanted to stay on for the winter you could think of trying for work in Barcelona for the winter months. Some of the above are on facebook.Might I suggest a basic spanish course in the meantime?Also check out jobs in Portaventura.

Just wondering if you had any luck finding work?
Best wishes
Nick

Nick is 100% accurate in his advice i have worked in Salou for 12 years now the season is 4 1/2 mths at best and unless you get a FULL contract you cannot afford to stay the winter many head to Andora but that is getting harder and most return to the UK to work as i have done, even If you have substantial savings you will soon see them dwindle with nothing comming in,
last year i brought my new partner to salou she is also in the care industry and spent many years in customer service. yet with those qualifications and the numerous contacts i have she was unable to find suitable work, luckily i have my own buisness that allowed her to work with me, but instead of 2 incomes we had 1 split in 2.
The sad fact is in terms of bar work the only places that are recruiting tend to be looking for young party people that can be housed in workers flats. otherwise you need a job with decent income or flat share,
If you can watch the series "our man in" you will see just how many expats see their dreams fall apart thinking that a life in the sun is one big holliday the simple fact is Spain dosnt have a welfare system for others like we do in the UK

Nick, You miserable dream busting b****** :)

Tom. a bit harsh, Nick has only told the real side of what its like in Salou. I think he was informing them not putting them off.

Tom that's a bit harsh on Nick he's not shattering dreams but offering a reality check far too many people give up every thing for a new life in the sun. only to find it is not one long holiday, I came to Spain in the mid 90's and then gave up a mortgage and a thriving business to follow my dream luckily it went well although I didnt have the income i made in the uk and have struggled financialy some times, It was the best decision i ever made

Sorry boys I was only joking (see the smilie?). I would love to live over there eventually but realise without major financial back up it's pointless. Just felt that nick could could have let her down a bit lighter instead of dropping her off the Shambhala

I took no offence Tom..I saw the smiley
I look at it this way: to get somewhere, you need to take a pill...and it STILL won't be easy. If you need to have the pill sugar-coated...you probably didn't have the character to make it anyway...if you have the guts to take the pill. swallow it, and then try...you stand a better chance of making it. Trouble is, the streets of Salou are often littered with those who had the guts...but not the luck.There is virtually no sign at all of the rest
Thanks to Maggie and Rick for their input. They are experienced in the vagaries of Salou too .I have been here 24 years, and seen boom and bust, slight boom, and then potentially a bigger bust in all that time