Return to Website

Lauren Henderson Message Board

discuss.

Tart City Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Romantic read recommendations, please

I know, again! Am compiling a list (for work) of romantic reads which I have broken down into the following categories

Historical
Horror/Romance
Modern
Erotic
Male Authors
Classics
Gay & Lesbian
Black & Ethnic Minorities
Teenage Romances
Graphic Novels

Does anyone have any books they loved that they want to recommend? Anything at all? The categories might not necessarily stay but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything/anyone out - I would be eternally grateful...

A very overworked

Mobesxxx

Re: Romantic read recommendations, please

Um. Looking at my shelves there's Iain Banks' The Business, which is a love story in a strange kind of way - a rock god who ends up with his first girl friend: although they only get back together right at the end of the book he's travelling towards her for the rest of it. Joanne Harris' Chocolat and the Lollipop Shoes, Angela Carter's Heroes and Villains and The Magic Toyshop, which are both high up in my top 50 books ever, The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim, Turtle Diary by Russell Hoban, Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbevilles (unless you need happy endings?), Linda Davies' Something Wild, and the obvious: most of Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights (though I've not sure that counts as romantic - mind you, most of these aren't just straight romance!) oh and Twilight etc. by Stephanie Meyer, which I'm just reading (YA), the first three Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar) which are probs erotica, and all Georgette Heyer except her detective ones... think I said Barbara Trapido's Brother of the More Famous Jack (wonderful book) last time? And Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner (though being seduced by the devil may not sound like romance, but she has such a good time! Can't think of any more...

Ali x

Re: Re: Romantic read recommendations, please

Oh and Nora Roberts I guess...

A x